Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much to pay a helper

sherwes is offline Registered User

How much to pay a helper

Hi, I have found a helper that I would like to employ. Can anyone assist me with how much I should agree to pay her? She tells me that she is currently paid HK$4,500 per month. Does that sound correct? Thanks very much.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    That's less than we pay, but more than the minimum (3,400 or so). Like any job wages are dependant on experience, previous employment (not many people would be happy to be paid less than their most recent wage) and what you personally feel is appropriate for the amount of work that she will undertake.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    We pay our helper well over the minimum, but not quite that much. You should ask to see reciepts from her current employers - I have had friends ask to check, only to find that the prospective helper has inflated their current salary.

snagito is offline Registered User
    Our helper told us that $4500 was what she was paid, and when we checked the references it was true. We still didn't feel comfortable paying that much at the start as had no idea how it would all work out -- so offered her $4000 with $500 food allowance - so a total of $4500, rather than $4500 base plus additional food allowance. We also ask her to please use our rice, sugar, spices, whatever she needs etc to keep her expenses down.. Perhaps this could be a solution for you? The Philippine peso has devalued substantially so I think it is important to take this into consideration as well when thinking about what to pay helpers now.. Just a suggestion, hope helpful.

barbiegirl is offline Registered User
    We pay our helper the minimum wage, though she has been working in HK for a few years with different families, and she didn't ask for higher pay. I think it depends on the task nature, if it's only ordinary household and babysitting, minimum wage is good enough. But if it involves extra work or skills, especially if taking care of disabled or person with special needs, then you may need to hire someone with more experience, then pay higher wage is reasonable.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Employment agencies would advise you to enter a contract with minimum wage and negotiate a standard for bonus (off the record). That way, if things go sour, you aren't obligated to hand out a higher wage for poor performance.

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User
    recently, we hired a helper and were told the agency to pay her the min. But later learnt from our helper that she have to repay the agency almost $3000 (initial six mths) for commission, cost of training etc.. Like Spockey said, we offered her a bonus every month.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't consider babysitting i.e. looking after my child, my most precious possesion, in the same context as 'ordinary tasks' such as housework. Looking after children is a special skill and pay scales should reflect that.

Agree with Snagito, currency devaluation is a big consideration, as is the rising cost of basic staples such as rice in helper's home countries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast