Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby crying loudly at frequent intervals during the day

mushi is offline Registered User

baby crying loudly at frequent intervals during the day

hi everyone, my 7 week old baby has started crying loudly and suddenly in the middle of his sleep during the day/night, for no apprarent reason...i am not sure if he is colicy or is this due to his cold/cough due to which his throat is congested or if it is only gas....i am at the last bit of my patience ....pls. help with yr experiences.
    worried mother

carang is offline Registered User
    usually if it is gas, the little one will pull up the legs. does he do that?

mushi is offline Registered User
    yes he does and after going thru the infacol website, i am sure it is either just gas or colic...i am giving him infacol at present and am planning to increase his dosage though today he is a little better....thanks.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    I have a similar issue with my 9 week old and am trying gripe water which seems to work some of the time.

Any thoughts on which is better, gripe water or Infacol? The woman in the pharmacy told me that they were essentially the same thing.

carang is offline Registered User
    they both do about the same thing.

the main thing you need to remember is consistency. you need to give it regularly for it to have an effect.

good luck!
    my daughter screamed or slept for the first 3 months of her life, no exaggeration. for us it turned out to be lactose intolerance. we finally got it under control and by 6 months she was a different baby! now at almost 16 months, she's very cheerful...but she has a terrible temper!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    this is my experience - my baby had the same problem from 6 weeks as well. we fed him the rid winds medicine, it helped alittle, but he was still very much in pain, cried for 4-5hours a day and refused to feed, breast and bottle.

the doc told us it's probably colic, and i had to watch what i eat. no dairy, soy, wheat, peanuts, spicy food. his advice was also to put the baby on his tummy after every feed for at least an hour. it helped alittle, at least that got baby to return back to feeds, but the crying for hours still went on. this continued till he was about 11 weeks or so.

i went back home and my parents taught me to fry onions in chinese rice wine, wrap it up in a towel, when it's cooler, rub the baby's tummy and back. the effect was immediate. he expelled all the gas thru farting (seriously, it was a series of non stop farting!!!). then they used some sort of chinese medicine called so hup, wrap it around his navel with a towel and let him sleep. this was the only thing that worked tremendously for us. now i do not have to use the onions or the so hup thing after 3 weeks of faithfully applying on him. he still cries from gas, but minimal like only 15mins.

im really not sure if it's my parents' method that worked, or that colic just left us after 3 months, he's now 13 weeks. but i do understand the pain, and all that crying he did, left me crying as well cos i felt helpless towards him and all i could do was to hold him tight.

unity is offline Registered User
    hi
    my dd is almost 5 months old and still cries in the middle of her sleep. we now know what to do, ie pick her up and burp her and put her back to sleep (if we are lucky). we use two drops of infacol at each feed. it does help a little as it is easier for her to burp. i wish we didn't have to use infacol since it has a little alcohol and a sugar substitute but we cannot watch her in pain without it. have also tried dentinox colic drop (real sugar and no alcohol) but not as effective i think. we also feed her gripe water whenever i remember! ;)

LeahH is offline Registered User
    You could try a cranial osteopath. Among other things, they work on the baby's digestive tract which can help with wind problems and their root causes. I took my daughter when she was 4 weeks and it made a huge difference. She slept better, wasn't as fussy after feeds and they also taught me how to massage her tummy to help expel wind. Try Caroline Rhodes at the Body Group or Ines de Beer at OT&P.