Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Breastfeeding equipment

Tracey Nicole is offline Banned

Breastfeeding equipment

Hi there,

There is sooooooooooooo much information out there on breastfeeding.

Essentially I am going to be breastfeeding for as long as I can unless I can not. I also return to work at 10 weeks so will be expressing as well as breastfeeding.

It is with the above in mind, that I am seeking advice - what are the essential items that I will require. Pls bear in mind that I am on a budget when replying.

My boss and his wife have been kind enough to give me 4 bottle microwave steam steriliser so if i can incorporate that into the 'Essentials List' that would be great.

Any avice would be brilliant. Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Trace

With kind regards,

Trace

carang is offline Registered User
    you will need some kind of pump. everyone has their own preference. i liked the medela electric.

you will need bottles, nipples etc. again, every baby has their own preference, so before you go out and buy 4 of one kind, i would buy one or two of a couple of different kinds to try out first. (my first liked the pigeon nipples with "wings" and my second liked nuk)

you will need freezer storage bags.

a bf pillow is nice, but NOT essential, you can use any firmer pillow or cushion.

that's it.... one of the beauties of bf... you supply most of what you need!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I would add :

- Lansinoh cream (it's quite painful at the beginning)
    - nursing bras
    - breast pads
    - some plastic bottles to use with your pump to stock in the fridge (I also have a double electric one from Medela, so I just bought the little bottles from the same brand. I have 6 of them, 2 in the fridge, 2 on the machine, and 2 in the sterilizer).
    - I agree, bf pillow is not necessary.
    - maybe some sort of teas (fennel, mother's milk...) to help with the lactation, which is generally irregular, on all during growth spurt !!

I think it's important also to get some help from the first hour after the birth, and don't let you convinced by the doctors and nurses to use formula, unless it's medically necessary.

Good luck !

oh, yes, breast pads FOR SURE!!! i used to leak for the first 6 months! (the hardest thing to do at the begining of bf is having a warm shower...the warm water gets the milk going so getting out of the shower without drenching yourself in milk becomes an olympic sport, of which, i think i am worthy of a gold medal!)

nursing bras, yes...

never used the cream though. my kids woudn't go near my boobs if they smelled it on me. i never got cracked nipples. and only found nursing painful when i had a blocked duct for about 2 days or so....

rebekah is offline Registered User
    having just started breastfeeding this week i will say that I have used, and love my bf pillow. I am sure that once I get more used to nursing I won't think it so essential. Instead of lansinoh nipple cream, I have used mothercare's chamomile cream, and I loooove it. it's great in the first few days when you and baby are learning to latch. of course breast pads. i personally like the washable ones right now as they are softer and gentler on newly breastfeeding nipples, but later on I will probably appreciate the disposable kind.

jools is offline Registered User
    I would also add keep the phone number of La Leche League handy, should you experience any difficulties.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    I second what Jools said, have a list of numbers nearby of people you can contact for support/advice. Among this list should be the La Leche League. They were invaluable to me (and still are at 2 months!) when problems crept up. I have been shocked at how difficult breastfeeding can feel at times (epecially in the middle of the night when things seem very bleak and the bf is not going as you expected and you are short on sleep!) so the people I ended up reaching out to for help have been invaluable especially when there are many people that will suggest you switch to formula at the slightest hint of a problem. Other good numbers or resources are a lactation consultant and/or midwife that you can call.

Another item I suggest is a manual pump. It is pretty important for you to be able to pump manually in cases where you can't use the electric or if it breaks. (it is also pretty easy to throw the manual one in your bag for shorter trips where you don't want to haul the electric) Ideally your manual is the same brand as your electric so that you can also hook it up to the electric pump. I have the Medella Pump in Style electric plus a Medella Harmony manual. That being said, I ended up getting an Avent Isis manual which I think is better for getting milk out than the Medella manual but this can be a personal choice. Manual pumps are also good for really clearing your breasts since electric pumps are not always the most efficient.

Those are my two LONG cents!

Cathy

some women have a lot of problems and difficulty breastfeeding, others, like me have not a problem at all...it really all depends on baby and mummy.

i wish you luck! but remember, if for some reason bf doesn't work out for you, you ARE NOT a bad mother! and you will have nothing to feel guilty about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast