Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong, advice please

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I agree with what everyone has said. I have been in HK for just 5 months and really love it. Originally also from UK.

However just bear in mind with any move there is a settling in period, and it can be difficult at first. It will be very different from the UK, there will be new friends to make, new schools to find, new places to find etc. There is no Tescos or Sainsburys here, although there are some really good supermarkets. Just give yourself chance to settle.

kazbt is offline Registered User
    Hi all, thank you so much for all your postings, all full of useful info. Yes, that will be the next step, what to bring out and what to put in storage! I suppose it's a good way of chucking out the clutter! In an apartment, do you think there'll be enough room for kids toys etc. Also, our boy has a Wii, but heard that the UK ones are not compatible out there - has anyone experienced this?

Thanks ladies, be in touch

Karen

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User
    We came from the US and have been here about 10 months. I love it! Mostly because here I don't have to work and can spend more time with my kiddo! And still have domestic help. Of course there was adjustment and times when I feel very frazzled by it all, but once you learn your way around and figure out the shopping it's all good!

Apartments tend to be small here yes, so innovative storage really helps when it comes to toys. We have IKEA here and I got a little set of stackable bins that really helps with the toys.

Nats1982 is offline Registered User
    Was just reading all your replys and I too am thinking of moving to HK with my husband and 5 month old baby. Could I ask how you have found the language barrier, my husband speaks cantonese but I only speak English, would love to get a job whilst over there but not sure how easy this would be. Your help on this would be much appreciated.

Hoping to move in Oct this year. I am from Leeds,we have family in HK and love it!

Thanks

Nats1982, although I can't offer any advice about living in hong kong, I can say that judging by all the replies I've had on my thread, everyone sounds so friendly and relaxed. My nerves and worries about moving out have been helped greatly and put at rest due to peoples reponses - I must sound like a right worry wart!

Thank you everyone else for all your advice - I'll be back!!!

Nats1982 is offline Registered User
    Thanks Kazbt

I think my main concern is not speaking the language, are you going to work when your'e out there?

I love HK we go every year to see family and have only just decieded that we would like to move out there and experience the lifetsyle etc.

When are you moving?

rachrobin is offline Registered User
    Not speaking Cantonese or Mandarin does not really impact daily life.
    Of course, learning the basics will help you (taxis, markets etc.) but you can get by without very easily.
    If you are looking for work, only speaking English may limit your options, depending on what you do for a living.

I have been here 8 months, the hardest thing to get used to is the pollution. It really is off the scale and there are days I don't feel like leaving the house because of the smog.

Nats1982, no, I won't be working out there. We're only going for 2 years, maximum 3 years for hubby to help out the office! We're still waiting for the deal to be signed off in HK, but have said that we'll go at the end of July/beginning of Aug, although they did want us to go out beginning of July. I've said no as it doesn't leave us a lot of time for packing etc (they've only just agreed a deal to go out).

I am kind of looking forward to it, but apprehensive as it's going into the unknown for me, although he was out there for 5 weeks in Dec last year.

When would you be going out, and do you know where you'll be living? We're going to Happy Valley, as the bank own some apartments there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast