Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Toddler refusing to eat

AnpanBaby is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

is your toddler eating with you? I know that some toddlers tend to eat more if they eat together with the adults.

Enchanted is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    It was suggested to us to give our DS a spoon and fork long before he would be able to use it, also provide food of which he can feed himself.

After 12 months apparently they have a tendency to want to assert some of their own control so we gave our DS choices. (Only a couple as not to overdo him.)

We found this really helped and soon we learnt what foods he preferred, its good not to be fixed in your interpretation of what they like and don't like as this may (and often will) change.

They need to know what to expect, routine, consistency and sharing.

He learns only from example; what do you eat, how do you eat, when do you eat?

Good luck, remember he will never starve if you are offering him good food. This too will be a phase of him testing you (and perhaps himself.)

You are doing a great job.

capital is offline Banned
    MY toddler eats the same foods that we eat, at the table with the rest of the family. He never did eat purees, but pretty much went straight to table foods, assuming it was soft enough small enough.

Assuming your child is healthy, I wouldn't really worry too much about a lack of interest in food. His growht is slower in toddlerhood, than in infancy, combined with the want of independance, children can drive parents batty. The way I approach it, is my child is offered the same food as everyone else. I don't make anythign special for one child or the other if they don't like what is served. I give a little of everything and some days he eats a lot, more than I would think possible, other days he hardly eats anything. Yesterday, after during morning snack he ate 4 bowls of cereal!! I couldn't belive it! If there is a particular favorite he eats a lot more of that and skips the rest. I give 3 meals/day and 2 snacks. some foods I found my children were given many many many times before they liked it, but overall they eat pretty much everything, even things I cann't stand and would never ever eat (tripe, tendons, organs, durian, etc.) My husband likes those things, so even though I hate them, I try to not make a big deal out of things I think are gross, as it really is a cultural thing, and if you grow up liking it, whose is to say it isn;'t tasty. On the other hand, my sisters children who aren't really exposed to very many foods, especially "different" foods, are so so picky!!. They won't even eat rice!!!

I'll add, the one problem my toddler does have is he doesn't really like meat very much, he will chew it up, then spit it out, so I do give him a multivitamin for the iron and the vit D in it.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    not to mention that a child has over 10,000 tastebuds, while and adult has only 3,000. this is why something you hated as a child, you may very well love as an adult.

cyuen2020 is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    Thanks for the advice.
    We do offer him different foods as suggested. We know the importance of variety. The 2x solid food that I mentioned is referring to chicken/ pork/ fish with rice & veggi during the week for lunch and dinner. Yoghurt and egg custard are snack only.

He tried frozen mixed veggi but he likes pak choy more. For cheese and egg, he liked it before but now no more. So, my son is changing taste everyweek and hard to predict. Luckily, he can finish half of an avacado everyday lately (mixed with yoghurt).

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your advice. Comforting to hear that I am not the only mother who's experiencing this.

My son does eat with us at our table and although we still have to distract him, he likes prodding our adult food and taste them at the same time. The reason why we separate our food to his is because we have salt in our food. Actually what is a safe age for toddler to have salt in their food? Just worried that too much will put a strain on their kidneys.

As for meat I have given him diced meat but he puts them in his mouth, sucks out the juice and spits them out hence have to hide the meat (cut in a food processor) in his food.

Any advice on how I can encourage him to eat different varieties of fruit - he used to love them when pureed but don't now except for bananas.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    It's best to not use salt when cooking food and to add it afterwards. That way you can give your toddler unsalted food. They don't need it anyway, things taste good to them without it.

My son has weeks when he likes fruit and weeks when he doesn't. He used to eat a banana a day and now won't touch them. He is loving watermelon however. He also eats strawberries with a tiny bit of sugar. I generally just cut fruit up into tiny pieces and leave it in a bowl so that he can help himself when he is playing. He eats more fruit this way than if i turned it into a proper eating session at the table.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    I agree with aussiegal...there are some days when my son will devour bowls of strawberries and others when he won't touch them! The same with other fruits too.

The older he gets the pickier he seems to get, but I think some of it is him testing the control (and power) he has, and some of it is him asserting his right to eat what he wants, when he wants.

I think we get so conditioned into the idea that our babies are putting on weight and growing properly that we forget that they are the best judges of when and how much they want to eat. Forcing children to eat (if they are otherwise growing well) only creates exhausting battles.....letting children listen to their bodies telling them when they are hungry and full is the best thing (espec. when we live in an age when obesity levels are at all time highs).

Our son eats the same as us, and has done since he was just over a year old. We also don't add salt when cooking, but add it afterwards, so he's not exposed to too much salt.
    And now he is more likely to reject something because it doesn't have enough flavour, rather than th other way round.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12