Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blood in baby stools

fennho is offline Registered User

Unhappy blood in baby stools

Baby gal let out her usual loud bowel movements today. But when I changed her diaper I found blood in her stools. She's on total BF so all along her stools are loose but for the past 2days its watery and mucus-like. Today the blood was fresh and also mucus-like. Quite a lot. Called the PD and he said its probably anus fissure (tear). Am bringing her down tom but I'm wondering how a bf baby who has never been constipated have a tear? Anyone have any experiences to share? As a 1st time mommy, seeing blood in my baby's stoools just sent me into shock and I'm sick with worry now. I have read that it cud be dairy allergy but since day1 I hv been taking milk, so that coudnt be. I hv been down with flu-like symptoms for these few days the usual runny & blocked nose with cough. Took decofed once but stopped once I realized it cud dry up my BM. Also took vitamin C and some paracetamol so I'm wondering if any of these cud potentially be the cause?? :(

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Hi Fenho,

When my little guy was a few weeks old he had mucousy blood in his nappy. I was of course concerned and my PD said the same;bring him in tomorrow. However everything turned out fine; take heart -- your doctor would probably make you come in immediately if he thought there was a serious concern. I know how hard it is to just let go, and sometimes its impossible when your LO is concerned to play a waiting game but remembr you WILL find out what's wrong tomorrow.

Do keep us updated though --our babies are of similar age it seems. We were at Elements today and seeing you on this forum lots and remembering you live in the area I actually wondered if we'd see you and your little one, hehe. I'm sorry you have to go through this, especially when you're not feeling great yourself !

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Fenn,

You might like to look at the page, What causes blood in baby's stool? from the kellymom.com web site, http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

One of her suggestions is,
    "There are several case reports of a baby beginning to have mucous and/or blood in the stool after starting vitamin/fluoride drops"

Many cases of blood in infant stools have no known cause. If the baby is otherwise well and growing, blood in the stool often resolves on its own, but this should always be checked out by baby's doctor.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

hi Nashua
    thanks for sharing ur exp and the comforting words. Went to the PD today. Unfortunately he cudnt find any fissures..so now hv to take her stools samples and send for lab test to see if its any viral infection. Also asked to abstain from dairy pdts even though hv been taking it since her birth. But PD said usually these allergy reactions will surfaced max 2-3mths aft birth but my gal is oredi 4mths plus now...I'm so worried.

Sarah
    I did go to kellymom site thanks...I'm hoping its the vitamin c but now jus got to wait. Seems like my persistency of breastfeeding my gal is causing her to hv all these problems cos my mom commented saying she never had to face these problems with formulas and no need to pay attention to wat she eats will or will not harm baby. Feeling so down now :(

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Fenn,

If it really is something that you have eaten that is causing your baby a problem then imagine how much worse it would be if the baby had had the same thing directly.

For something to affect the baby through the milk supply the allergen has to pass first from the mother?s stomach and into her blood supply (i.e mother has an allergy) and then through into her milk supply. The baby then drinks the milk and the allergen has then to pass from the baby?s stomach into her blood supply (baby has an allergy) to cause the problem.

This means that BOTH the mother and the baby have to have problems with that food for it to cause a problem. Sometimes the mother has a very mild reaction to the food that she doesn?t realize that she has a problem until the baby has a problem.

Babies having problems with things the mother eats is actually quite rare. It is much more likely for a baby to have a problem with something given directly to the baby. The vitamins that Kellymom.com is talking about isn?t from the mother?s milk but when the baby is given the vitamins directly.

I have come across babies who have big allergy problem even when the mother is exclusively breastfeeding (i.e. when the baby has NEVER had anything other than breast milk) but usually they come from a family with lots of allergy problems ? often when both the mother and the father have allergies.

Don?t beat yourself up about giving your baby breast milk. It truly is a wonderful gift you are giving your baby. It is easy to look at a baby who is bottle feeding and is as healthy as your breastfed baby. But statistically your baby is healthier and also less likely to have allergies because she is breastfed.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

the results is out yday for her previous stool samples. It's clear of any viral infections, and for the past few days, everything is fine until yday, she poo-ed and there's a slight tinge of blood in her stools again. Twice. I am so worried. Have been abstaining from milk. But on Sun, i took something which i then recalled cud have butter inside. So does that means she's got milk allergy?? How is it for the past 4mths ive been taking lots of milk yet she's got no reaction until now? Even the PD is baffled cos he said usually babies dont show reaction so late. I have asked around and confirmed most of my fren's babies who show any milk allergy reaction with bits of blood in stools usually only happened when they're like 2-3 weeks old, max 2-3mths.

What does milk allergy means?
    Do i need to abstain from milk as long as i'm breastfeeding?

Pls advise, anyone?

adahc is offline Registered User
    I would stop all the dairy product for now and gradually retake it one thing at a time and see which one she is allegic to.

jessica69 is offline Registered User

blood in my baby's stool

Quote Originally Posted by fennho View Post
    Baby gal let out her usual loud bowel movements today. But when I changed her diaper I found blood in her stools. She's on total BF so all along her stools are loose but for the past 2days its watery and mucus-like. Today the blood was fresh and also mucus-like. Quite a lot. Called the PD and he said its probably anus fissure (tear). Am bringing her down tom but I'm wondering how a bf baby who has never been constipated have a tear? Anyone have any experiences to share? As a 1st time mommy, seeing blood in my baby's stoools just sent me into shock and I'm sick with worry now. I have read that it cud be dairy allergy but since day1 I hv been taking milk, so that coudnt be. I hv been down with flu-like symptoms for these few days the usual runny & blocked nose with cough. Took decofed once but stopped once I realized it cud dry up my BM. Also took vitamin C and some paracetamol so I'm wondering if any of these cud potentially be the cause?? :(
    hi fennho,

i just saw this post that you posted couple years back, i hope you will be able to see my this message. I'm very desperate and don't knwo what to do.
    My baby's situation is exactly like yours before.
    We brought him to doctor and was referred to hospital. My baby was kept in the hospital for 2 days and was not allowed to eat for over 15 hours. They did x-ray and blood test and found nothing wrong with the intestine and suspected that it was anal fissure as they did found a tear at his anus.
    But it's been almost a month after the checkup and the bleeding is still going on and off. It's often just a small trace of blood but i found quite a lot of blood today, it's like many droplets all over his poop, it's fresh blood. I don't know if it's caused by food allergy. I have always been having milk.
    Can you tell me what you did in the end and how the problem ended?
    I would really appreciate that.

Thanks!
    Jesse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast