Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Queen Mary Hospital Question URGENT question..

geomum is offline Registered User
    I've written about my Queen Mary experience in a previous post. Would like to add the Doctors at Tsan Yuk or Queen Mary do not discuss your or your baby's condition with you unless you ask them. Even after asking, I found them very reluctant to share what was wrong with my daughter/ the swelling on her head and why she needed to be kept in Special Care Unit for a week. That left us wondering and worried sick the whole time. All they said was she had a bacterial infection. They kept her file under strict supervision and we were not even allowed to look into it. We did try sneaking into it when we thought no one was looking to know the name of the infection and reason for the swelling on her head but were reprimanded by the nurse there for doing that. I mean she?s my daughter and I have every right to know what's wrong with her, right????? Also they didn't give us any detail of her infection, what medicines they gave her the whole week, what tests they ran on her, what precautions we needed to take in future etc etc. All they said was she was alright now and we could take her home. Supposedly one has to submit a form/ fee or something to get full discharge summary which takes a few weeks.
    Last edited by geomum; 05-22-2008 at 09:42 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    funny... i was hospitalised 13 times over 2 pregnancies, and i ALWAYS looked at my charts. never had a problem with drs or nurses saying i shouldn't.

i also asked hundreds of questions. at one point, the head of the high risk team took almost 45 minutes to answer my list of questions, which i wrote down and i also wrote down all of his answers... and that wasn't even when i was admitted, it was during a "check-up", which i had every 2 weeks during both pregnancies.

forgot to mention that my first birth there was anything but wonderful. it was awful.

had no choice and returned for my second. this one was a million times better!

if my hubby agrees to a third time, it will be back there for me again, without batting an eye.

i guess what you can glean from this thread is that every person's experience is different, some great, some good, some ok, some bad and some terrible.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Cara, I was able to look at my file (Which was placed next to my bed before the doctor's visit every morning and taken away later on) but not allowed to look at my daughter's file.
    We saw the doc looking into her case once after waiting for 2 days since he was very busy. All he said in a hurry was that she had a bacterial infection, was being given antibiotics and we shouldn't worry too much. The nurses gave us some information sparingly on her current status only on being asked.
    I understand this might be due to the fact that the staff there is very overworked but that is no excuse for not letting us access to her file or not giving us time to talk about her or giving us details of her entire treatment. Or is it?

kharel is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone,

Gosh so many different stories to take in that it seems it is down to personal experience.. I just hope everythign is ok with me adn the baby adn I will discharge myself within 24 hours - legally they can not keep you so I will get out fast and rest at home which I think will be nicer.

I have heard many great things about the care and so I hope to have a good experience there. As private is just not a financial option I will just make it work.

Thank you all so so much

unless of course you end up with a c-section, then you'd be crazy to go home after 24 hours!

geomum, i agree. i would have kicked up such a fuss if they didn't let me look at my child's file... i don't blame you in the least.

i'm glad your little one is ok now.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    A lot of the bad stories you hear about public hospitals are to do with expectations. Usually concerning who is allowed in the room with you (like the story above about the mother flying in from the US), and the facilities, as well as the level of disclosure when it comes to the mother and baby's health.

You need to go in there with the expectation that you're in another country, and this is the way they do things. It is not the same as a private suite in the US, or a birthing room in Australia, you're in Hong Kong and they're not going to change their systems to suit other cultures.

So, don't necessarily assume your husband will be with you all the time. Don't assume anyone else will be able to be with you at all, or see the baby after it's born. Your husband has to leave after the baby is born. If you have other children, they can't come and see you or visit the baby.

Like someone said, try to stay home as long as you can, if possible. Then you won't be in the hospital for the long early stages of labour, potentially on your own. Be persistent with asking questions, if you don't feel like you're getting enough information.

I really dislike a lot of the approaches to birth in HK public hospitals but that's too bad, I have chosen to give birth here and all I can do is try to make my experience as good as it can be within the limitations they give. Swapping horror stories is mostly only good for stressing out mothers-to-be who are nervous enough already.

dueJuly is offline Registered User
    well said, hkaussie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast