Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice needed on moving to HK, please.

Nats1982 is offline Registered User

Advice needed on moving to HK, please.

Hi all,

I'm very new to this site but here goes....

My husband and I are thinking of moving to HK with our 5 month old baby. My husband is originally from HK and we have family who live there at the moment. My question really is, I only speak English and am worried I would struggle to find work, could anyone tell me how they have found moving to HK without speaking the language. I have read some threads on this site and have noticed a lot of mums meet up which is great as this would be another worry of mine, leaving all my friends in the UK and not knowing anyone. I suppose I am just thinking of all the hurdles when moving to a foreign country, but I am very excited about the prospect of living in HK.

Any tips, or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

mumofone is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Moving to Hong Kong

I moved here with my 10month old and have never regretted moving here (for the second time). Not speaking cantonese/mandarin is not a problem. As regards work, it rather depends what is your profession. There are many small companies around looking for expats to work - mainly part time. Most people find making friends here easily through playgroups etc and its surprising how once you spread the word you are looking for some work, you may come across someone who can help.

I have sent you a private message of some other websites that may assist you in making that decision. For obvious reasons I cant post them directly on this forum.