Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby put thumb in to suck while latched on!

fennho is offline Registered User

Baby put thumb in to suck while latched on!

hi mommies
    lately my gal has this habit of sneaking in her thumb to suck along while she's latched on to my breast. I'd pulled it out and hold her hand but if I let it go, immediately she will slowly creep her hands sneakily back and put her thumb back in. Would like to ask if this is ok? Logically will this cause her to suck air in as well during latch on cos she creates a hole for the thumb to be placed along side my nipple. Appreciate any comments.

carang is offline Registered User
    my girl used to do this too. i just continued to hold her hand.

fennho is offline Registered User
    hi carang
    thanks...so i'm right in not letting her put it in cos it WILL caused her to be sucking air in rite?

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    I hold my litle guy's hand or give him something to hold. The sucking in of air really wasn't an issue it was more so annoying as he'd keep breaking suction! Now that your LO moves around a lot more, even if she does swallow air (although it's unlikely she will, a bottle/teat mechanism traps air, a gap between her mouth and your breast won't) I'm assuming she moves around enough to burp on her own now, too.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I have known a few babies to suck their thumbs while feeding. It causes no problems with gas but as Nashua said it can be annoying.

When a baby has gas it isn't air but methane that the baby has. When an adult drinks from a glass we don't worry that air will get into the stomach and it is really no different for a baby either.

One reason that babies get gas is because they drink milk and only milk. The lactose in the milk digests in the stomach and produces methane. Usually this isn't a problem - even if you don't burp the baby. The methane will just pass thorough the baby's system and he will fart it out. For some babies it does cause a problem and in these cases burping can help as the baby will burp rather than fart.

Babies hands tend to get everywhere while they are feeding. If you don't like this try to move the babies hands down to his side or as the other mothers mentioned hold his hands.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 05-24-2008 at 12:51 AM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org