Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

any luck turning a transverse baby?

aussie mum is offline Registered User

Question any luck turning a transverse baby?

up until i was 32 weeks this baby was happily head down. since then he insists on staying transverse. he still moves a lot so one day might be head to the left bum to the right and the next day the opposite. no sign of him turning head down though!!

anyone had any experience with this and successfully turned the baby? from what i've read online its quite common for the baby to turn quite late....often during labour itself but i know i would feel better if it happened sooner. i REALLY would rather not have a c-section

aliu is offline Registered User
    I did some exercises but it did not help and my daughter was born in transverse position last August, no c-section.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    Get down on your hands and knees and rock back and forth and side to side - every night for at least 10-20 minutes - just do it while you watch tv. After 35 weeks no more swimming, it actually discourages engagement apparently. If you would like any more help, feel free to PM me.

capital is offline Banned
    I was just reading up on this this. What I was reading was more for breech vs. transverse, but it couldn't hurt to try. The exercise suggested is to lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on floor raise pelvis and put pillows under yourself until your butt is 10-15 inches above your head, or to lie on an ironing board or other flat board. do this 3 times/day for at least 10 minutes when your baby is active. The idea is that by laying this way baby slides out of pelvis a bit and may turn around. It also says to check with your healthcare provider first to ensure you have no medical issue that would be of concern with this. Another thing is to play music with headphones on your lower abdomin with the hope baby may move towards the music. You could also consider external version. I don't know for sure if this can be done with transver lie, but it is done with breech babies. Not sure if they do this in HK. It is where a doctor physically tries to get the baby to roll into a head down posiiton using his hands on your abdomen. It does have some risks, but less risky that a c/s.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    for some reason my doctor won't try and turn the baby manually (an ECV) unless its breech. he says its no applicable for transverse. i'll have to quiz him more about this when i see him this week.
    i'm trying acupuncture this week too and will start on those excercises.
    it can't hurt to give it a try....although i'm not sure i can give up swimming!!

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    Your doctor probably won't try to turn because its just too early...its such a small small percentage of babies that don't engage from being transverse so don't panic :) The idea behind getting onto hands and knees is to get the heaviest part of baby, ie. the head, to go head-down, you don't want to do any exercises that tilt the baby's head towards you...best of luck!

capital is offline Banned
    here is a website that talks extensivly about external version, who is elligable etc. it is american.

www.aafp.org/afp/980901ap/coco.html

this is only talking about breech as well, maybe to risky, or impossible to manuver with transverse, I am not sure
    Last edited by capital; 05-26-2008 at 11:24 AM.

reei is offline Registered User

Talking transverse baby

i am in my 34th week, and my ob tells me my bb is still in transverse position. well, i'll be going back to see her in 2 weeks time, if still same position, i might have to arrange for caesarian at QE.
    anyone has experience still have transverse or breech baby at this stage or later?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast