Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

helpers/nannies - full time working parents

Query is offline Registered User
    I've seen helpers in our block washing cars at 10-11 pm at night. Of course, there are 24 hours in a day, but is it really humane to work your helper that hard??? They don't really get paid much.....much much less than what an i-banker would..........

nat1969 is offline Registered User
    here is my experience - we hired a helper to look after a 18 mo and 3.5 yo (who is in school 8:30-3:30); she managesd to clean and care for 2 kids...she wasnt a great cook so she only makes meals for the kids (i eat at work or make myself dinner);
    we just had #3 and i got a 2nd helper FT so she cook look after the baby when i return to work; the household cleaning could be divided a bit and cooking for kids still is done by #1.....
    i def reviewed their previous work histories to see how hard they were working before to ensure they werent shocked by what they needed to do

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I was talking to my helper about this earlier in the week. She said that most families hire helpers who have had their own children, and so understand the demands of caring for a newborn and young children.
    She said that many helpers come from families where there are several children to take care of, plus a house...........however do they manage? Well, it's called real life.

It's quite a crazy idea to suggest that to take care of a baby and a flat is 'too much' for one person.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Happy V, everyone acknowleges it is physically possible for one person to 'do it all', that doesn't mean it is desirable - working conditions in all forms of employment (should) naturally improve over time - DHs are no different to those working in other industries where work/life balance is becoming increasingly important.

Doing it all might have been the norm back in the day, but the vast majority of stay at home mums I know in Europe and Aust/NZ have cleaners, babysitters, family who help out etc. etc.

Some hire additional FT or PT help to free up time for more attention/stimulation for the children, others may have demanding babies that require constant attention - or it could be that people prefer to treat their employees at home as they do their employees in the workplace i.e. if you are able to, why not create optimum working conditions.

It is all of the above for me.

LeahH - my comments were not in regards to an employer's decision as to how to staff their household - but in regards to the helpers decribed in this thread as saying/acting as though this kind of work is too much for one person to do - which it simply isn't.
    I'd love to see some of the helpers here faced with the size of houses common to the UK/USA/Australia which are kept clean by one person. Hey, and we managed to cook too!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    we'll agree to differ then - I totally agree Ania's helper is definitely not overworked given the tasks that she undertakes. But in my opinion, looking after a baby (as demanding as mine), cooking and cleaning IS too much for one person to do justice to all three

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'justice' - my mum worked, had three kids, a big house, a dog, and we were fed, bathed, kept clean and in line, and our house was clean. No - the bathrooms and floors and kitchen were not cleaned everyday - but I don't believe this is necessary.Neither is cleaning the bathroom tiles with a toothbrush, which one aquaintence has her helper do daily.

If you have a demanding baby, then I understand the need for more help. However, HK must have one of the highest ratio of 'demanding' babies on earth, for the sheer number of employers and helpers who seem to think that more than one baby must mean more than one helper!

spockey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    However, HK must have one of the highest ratio of 'demanding' babies on earth, for the sheer number of employers and helpers who seem to think that more than one baby must mean more than one helper!
    Hahaha! HappyV, that's really funny. Reminds me of an Australian woman who is a stay at home mum/pseudo business woman where I live who complains that she's like a single mum who has to raise two kids on her own because her husband travels a lot. She's considered hiring a second helper to help out around the household since having a second baby. Must be so hard given the number of hours I've seen her hang out at the cafe!

Of course, if Ania's helper compared her situation to this woman's helper, her life is HARD! But helpers should realise that we are not equal in our needs, abilities and money making capacity! Working amongst local HK colleagues almost certainly remind me everyday that in general, DHs who have worked for expat/local families with a SAHM mother are not good matches for working families with wee ones.
    Last edited by spockey; 06-04-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast