Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Delivery question?

soon2bmom is offline Registered User

Delivery question?

Dear all,

This question just popped into my head out of no where today:

During labour, when you're pushing and pushing and pushing, is it possible to involuntarily poo or pee on the delivery table?

Well, this is my first pregnancy and so totally clueless. Hope moms who have done it before can clue me in!

Thanks!

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    It's not only possible, but most women do. Don't be alarmed however because once you get to the pushing stages;

a. you don't care what happens as your dignity has already been lost somewhere between yanking husbands arm hair and yelling at the nurses

b. you notice nothing else but the baby coming out. I'm not even sure if I did -- I'm assuming I did as there's such enormous pressure down there anyway

c. A nurse or midwife will very discreetly hold a sanitary towel over your rectum in both cases.

I know it still sounds daunting but when you get there -- whatever gets your LO out/makes it easier for you goes.

Good luck! And don't let this alarm you!

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i agree with most of the above however I wouldn't go as far to say that most women do.
    it is equally common for women to empty their bowels repeatedly during early labour.....in this case there is no unexpected pooing later on.

.....either way your mind is generally occupied with getting the baby out so its less of a concern at the time than you might otherwise think ;-)

capital is offline Banned
    I agree most women do. I know I did with both of my birth's. Both were inductions, hence I had no natural cleaning out ahead of time, and I was always constipated during pregnancy so that didn't help. The second pregnancy I also chose to have an enema, but I still did. Even if you have naturally had a lot of bowel movements, the amount that you push, it would be highly unlikely nothing comes at all comes out. You will push for harder and a lot longer than you ever have in your life. It is normal and expected and will be quickly whisked away! Don't worry the nurses aren't going to be grossed out.

soon2bmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks, ladies.

I was quite worried that when the doctor tells me to push, I won't know the difference between a vaginal push and a rectal push, well, I guess there's really no difference, then.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I once went to a lecture about the Immunobiology of Human Milk by Lars Hanson. (This is the most complicated subject I?ve ever tried to study!)

In it he said that babies were born near the rectum for a reason ? so that as they come out of the mother?s body they start getting the bacterium from the mother. The milk then protects the baby from any that might be harmful. So I think that when you push everything is actually meant to come out.

He then went on to talk a lot about allergies and was of the opinion that making birth too clean was one of the reasons that we have so many allergies in our society. For example, it is known that giving birth by caesarean section increases the risk of allergy.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

C bebe is offline Registered User
    the first time i heard this, i freaked out a little but i'm slowly getting used to the idea.

btw, when i toured matilda last week, they mentioned that i'm allowed to have up to 2 ppl in the delivery room.

did you mommies have anyone else other than your DH's in the delivery room?

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I just had my husband, but some people have a doula attend to help take care of them, especially if they are doing hypnobirthing or some other natural birthing method. From what I understand they are a great help, and can help you get the desired birth experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast