Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My 5 months baby suddenly rejected bottle

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    As babies grow older their rate of growth slows down. For an older baby we'd except somewhere between 60 to 120 grams increase a week rather than the 170 grams we are looking for in the early weeks.

But more important than weight per week is overall growth since birth (or more accurately from the lowest weight ? usually a few days after birth). How is your baby behaving? Has he met his developmental milestones?

If you want your baby to gain more weight the secret is lots of small feeds. How many times a day are you feeding him? Try to add at least two more feeds in during the day. Babies tend to take about the same amount of milk at each feed so the easiest way to increase the milk intake is to feed more often. Also encourage the baby to feed at night - babies can take a lot of calories at night.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

adahc is offline Registered User
    He is a premature baby by 4 weeks. His development is great, graping things, cooing, creeping, rolling, lifting his head very high. BUT he can not sit unassist yet. Not sure how to encourage him. He just reaches 5 months on 25th May. A very alert baby, everyone seems to say.
    He also wakes up twice at night (before only once) to feed.
    His birth weight was 2.85kg. Now he is 6.5kg at 5 months. Is that ok?

adahc is offline Registered User
    He is somehow not interested in feeding at the moment. his feed times are 5-6am., 8-9am., 11-12pm., 2-3pm., 6-6.30pm., sleep then up at 10pm.(sometime skip), 1am, then 5-6am.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User
    Adahc,

My adiri bottles arrived today did not work. I did however go out for the day alone without my baby and my husband took care of her while I was away she cried . I think being out helped as I know I would give in to her crying.. it took one hour for him to feed her 30ml.. she then napped when she woke up she was cried for about one hour and just took the bottle.. Anyway this evening I gave her EBM and my husband was able to give her a full feed. I just kept to my avent bottles but with a faster flow.
    So my suggestion is for you to go out for a full day.. and leave your little one with you husband.. its hard and I was feeling guilty about it all day.. but once she took the bottle again.. i feel alot better from now on I wil mix her feeds.

turtle is offline Registered User
    My LO went thru exactly the same phase of rejection of the bottle and someone suggested I try a different teat... My house looked like an Avent factory, but I then tried NUK Premium which she didn't like and then original NUK teats. She took this third option straight away and so then I had to buy all new NUK bottles and teats and ditch the Avent stuff! Hope this helps? Good luck xxx

carang is offline Registered User
    remeber that if your baby is premature (my second one was about 4 weeks early too) you need to deduct the prematurity when assessing milestones.

so, if your baby is 5 months, then really, ihe's only 4 months. there aren't many 4 month old babies that can sit unassisted! your baby is just fine!

fennho is offline Registered User
    hi sarah
    my baby too has taken to feeding only 5-10mins per nursing session! Now, often, she will latches on for only 10mins max and then pull off and if i attempt to latch her again, she will pull off and cry! Last time she used to be feeding 3hourly, now, it appears that she has become a "snacker" ie feed less but more frequently! I felt "tied to her" yet again, it's as if she's gone back to the early weeks of feeding 2hourly! She's turning 5months next week and altho she can hold her head up she still didnt flip yet. I've only ever seen her flip twice from tummy to back but never from back to tummy. Her birth weight was 3.325kg but she's now weighing 7.7kg. I'm worried her feeding frequently is a sign of her being hungry easily and "asking" for solids. I am trying to delay her till 6mths though. She is also waking up twice a night now whereas in the past it used to be jus once a night. Her feeding schedule last time used to be 8-9am (1st feed), 12++ (2nd feed), 3++(3rd feed), 5++(4th feed), 7++(nurse to sleep) and then she would wake once between 3-5am for a short feed. But now, she's doing this, 9++, 12++, 2++, 4++, 6++, 7++, and then waking at 2++, 4++.

Carang
    My gal came out on 38th week (c-sect due to breech), that's 2 weeks earlier. So do i also deduct and consider her as preemie altho technically, 37th week is considered as full term?

adahc
    seems that our baby is doing the same thing again. Haha.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Fenn,

The behaviour you are describing is really common in babies around four to five months old. By this time they know exactly how to breastfeed and can be very efficient at doing it - especially if other interesting things are going on around them.

Have you found your baby to be easily distracted when feeding? This is also something that happens at about this age. This can make breastfeeding in public more channelling. When my son was this age a friend suggested feeding him in the church - I found this worked well because it was dark and quiet and he would concentrate on the feeding more.

I'm sorry to hear that you find the short frequent feeds a problem. From the baby's view point it isn't and it doesn't mean that there is any problem with either you or your baby - it is just some babies like to feed this way.

Have you found that when you are out and about with your baby she is able to last longer between feeds than when you are at home? This is also very common as the baby grows older. I think it is because the babies get bored at home and a bored baby will ask for milk more often.

The range of when babies start to flip over is very wide and flipping from the back to the front is much harder than from the front to the back because they needs stronger neck and arm muscles for that manoeuvre. My last daughter didn't manage to do this until she was nearly eight months old but she started walking at nine months!

The best sign I know of that a baby is ready for solids this sitting up unaided. When a baby can sit straight it is easier for them to digest the food. For most babies this is around about the six months mark.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 05-28-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast