Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My 5 months baby suddenly rejected bottle

carang is offline Registered User

no fennho, you don't deduct. your daughter is considered full term.

you only deduct if your child is premature. (anything before 37 weeks). we couldn't even have our daughter do her 1 year test until she was 13 months. she also had to have her vaccinations 1 month later.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

Do you think in order to get my baby use to the bottle that I should start feeding her exclusively express milk via the bottle?? If not how can I train her so that she gets use to both? We had some success the other day when I went out all day but yesterday her feed will take over an hour. As my husband has to fly i have her for 4 days to myself in which I will BF her I tried this morning to give her the bottle and she just played with the teat or turn towards my chest. she tought it was a game and was giggling all the way through.. so next week when my husband is back I have to go out and cant bring her unfortunately. so again my husband will have her all day just feel bad coz everytime my husband feeds her it is such a struggle.

adahc is offline Registered User

I'm at my wits end myself. All I'm concentrate on is to feed him as much as he wants( not much as he only feeds 5-10 mins these days)as often as he wants and ensure that he's gaining weight ok. and then hope for the best that this stage will pass soon.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

cxflygirl,

Here are some tips that can be used if baby is reluctant to take the bottle:

* Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be too hungry,
    * Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby's mouth, try laying it near his mouth and allowing him to pull it in himself,
    * Try running warm water over the bottle nipple to bring it up to body temperature,
    * Try different types of bottle nipples to find a shape, a substance (rubber or silicone), and a hole size the baby will accept,
    * Try different feeding positions. Some babies like to sit propped against the caregiver's raised legs; others prefer not to look at the caregiver and will take a bottle better if they are held facing out, with their back against the caregiver's chest,
    * Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically - rocking, walking or swaying from side to side - because this may be calming to him,
    * Insert the bottle nipple into the baby's mouth when he's sleeping,
    * Keep trying, but remember that the baby can be fed the mother's milk with a cup, even month old babies can drink from cups with someone's help.

The method I've found is most useful with older babies is to make it a very different experience to breastfeeding. So baby sitting facing outward or lying down away from you and holding the baby by himself (if he's not able to hold the bottle himself yet you hold it and let him put his hands over yours) seem to work best.

They would rather breastfeed than bottle feed so if you hold the baby in a similar way they will refuse the bottle - showing you their preference. Often babies will take a bottle this way from someone who isn't the mother but not from the mother - I think they smell the milk and want the real thing.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 05-30-2008 at 09:07 PM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

Hi all you mommies. I think you should not worry so much! My little guy is 4.5 months old and the last few weeks he has been going through some major changes including most things you have mentioned.

He was waking up a lot at night to feed and was extremely cranky for a whole week and acted like he was teething. But the last few days it's as if he's a new happy baby again. He's feeds are very short now and sometimes he can go 4hrs or more without a feed! I usually nurse him before his naps and he seems to eat more (15min altogether from both breasts). If I try to nurse him at home when he is not sleepy he will only eat for a couple of minutes from one breast and then proceed to talk and play with me.

Basically, he went from feeding 7-8 times a day to only 5 times a day. Also, he's been sleeping a lot better and not waking up frequently during the night (for about a week he was waking up up to 5 times at night and nursing a bit).

My son also refuses the bottle or some times plays with it. I have to be out the whole day tomorrow and I hope he takes some milk form the bottle. I am also using the Adiri bottle. I have tried feeding him milk from the cup and I am sure with a little more practice he could drink a couple of oz at a time from a cup with no problem but I haven't had time to try it out.

He is also much more alert and starting to be very mobile (flipping over and trying to crawl) whereas just a week ago he seem to have no interest in rolling over. Things seem to happen over night.

I believe 5month is a very transitional time for them so they change their feeding and sleeping patterns and begin to have more interest in the world. Also, remember that once they start solid we can sometime replace a milk feed with a solid feed so we won't be as "tired down" because of nursing.

Actually, my baby basically refuses the nurse when we are out so I limit my outing to about 4hours total and rush home to feed him. He would rather fall alseep when out than nurse! It's very odd. However, he still has a poopy diaper most days so I don't worry about how much he's feeding anymore.

As long as your baby seems content and thriving just try to work with their schedule and don't stress so much! Enjoy your little ones yeah2 It's good to know we are all going through similar things and our babies are developing normally!

JandIinHK is offline Registered User

Bottle feeding tips and breast feeding in public query

My 6 month old little girl stopped taking a bottle at 6 weeks, and i've tried loads of different things previously mentioned to no avail. i've recently started using the avent magic spout with the anti spill piece removed. this can be fitted to avent bottles or cups. so far she seems to be taking water quite well from it. though it is a bit messy. i gave her the cup to play with and she now gets water with her meals and she seems to eat more solids.

on another note, we've just arrived in hong kong, and i wondered what public view is on breast feeding in public and if there are any malls that have good baby facilities where you can feed/change baby.

carang is offline Registered User

locals are very shy when it comes to bf, and from my experience there aren't many locals that bf beyond 2 months or so when the mat leave runs out.

however, they will never get used to it unless confronted with it. from my perspective, i was discreet and didn't flaunt what i was doing. however, i did it anywhere and everywhere i needed to. after all, it was just my child having lunch!

there is a list on here somewhere with places that are "set up" for bf mothers.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

JanlinHK,

Carang is correct locals are shy when it comes to BF however if needed I just find a starbucks and use my nursing cover just to be a little discreet. I was in elements the other day and they have a fantastic babies rooms for nappy changes and a nursing room I believe IFC has similar facilities. Have to say the older malls and places really aren't too baby friendly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast