Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dr Dawkins

Tracey Nicole is offline Banned

Dr Dawkins

Hi there,

Dr Dawkins is my OB and I am due to deliver at the Matilda.

I have now decided to use HynoBirthing and go natural. For all of you ladies that have used Dr Dawkins skills, how favourable is he to natural/hyno birthing? I really do not want to be pushed into intervention or be cut unless necessary.

I have an appointment with him this Friday and want to well prepared before giving him my birthing plan.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback on Dr Dawkins.

Cheers,

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I can't speak to the hypo birthing specifically, as I had an epidural, but he is the calmest Dr. I have ever seen in a delivery room... and he certainly is a fan of natural birthing and low intervention.

I asked about cutting and he said he does not do episiotomy unless it is an emergency and you need forceps or if you request it. He will also likely stretch your perineum to get you as small a tear as possible.

Eva08 is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

I had my baby at the Matilda in February and Dr Dawkins was my doctor. I also did the hypnobirthing and he was very supportive of it. He has worked with lots of hypnobirthing mothers in the past and knows exactly what this entails (as do the midwives in the Matilda). If everything is fine with the pregnancy he won't recommend any intervention. Some cases in which he might intervene are e.g. a c-section for a breech birth or an induction if you are more than 10 days overdue - but you definitely won't be pushed into anything unless he thinks there is a genuine need for it.

When I went past my due date, I started to get a bit anxious and was really tempted to ask to be induced but he reassured me that it was ok to wait a little longer. Eventually after a week I did go into labour naturally and was so glad I had waited as I had a relatively short & easy labour (thanks to the hypnobirthing!). From what I hear, many other doctors in HK wouldn't have been so encouraging and would have rushed me in straight-away for an induction if I'd even suggested the possibility!!

Hope this helps & good luck!
    Eva

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    my first born was a home birth in the UK - no pain relief and a wonderful experience.
    when i first found out i was pregnant this time in HK I was devasted that home births won't really a supported option and i went straight to Annerley midwives to get their recommendation for an OB that would be most supportive of a natural birth - they suggested Dr Dawkins as being #1.

I think you are in good hands with him - Good luck

thanks very much ladies for your wonderful replies. it puts my mind at ease. i am seeing him again this friday so will go from there. cheers and thanks again. trace

Eva,

on hynobirthing... i am doing the babes and beyong so annerley have said that doing the hynobirthing course would be overkill. i have bought and read the book and listen to the cd to sleep every night. what else do you recommend i should do to prepare myself?

any any mroe details you can give of your experience would be grand.

many thanks in advance. kind regards trace

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    Hi
    I thought Dr. Dawkins was leaving - isn't it at the end of June - hope you are due before that!
    Good luck with it all - I gave birth at the United Christian and they were very good at everything I wanted - no pain relief and only 1 hour 20 mins from waking up to giving birth, 2 pushes - I think I was very lucky. My second one was 1 hour 50 mins, little longer.

Yes he is leaving but not until end of July.

The question was to gain feedback from to people who have used Dr Dawkins.

Well done on your birth at the United Christian though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast