Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Recommended Formula With / After Breastfeeding

noc
    noc is offline Registered User

Recommended Formula With / After Breastfeeding

I've been breastfeeding for a little over 7 months now, but it's getting harder to pump the required amount for her daily feeds. We've been going into my freezer stock occasionally, but I think that will run out soon.

I could increase milk supply, but not sure I want to and may want to start weaning her, slowly.... I am also worried that she is not getting enough nutrition, since I read that breastfed babies need more iron and vitamin D after 6 months ? I am now only giving her one meal of solids of rice cereal mixed with breast milk.

My question is, which brands of formulas are good to supplement with? I heard that US & UK brands (Promil, Cow & Gate, etc.) are very sweet, and Japanese brands are better? Any recommendations?

tstmum is offline Registered User

I used NAN HA2 (suitable from 6 months) as a supplement to breastfeeding and switched to cows milk at 12 months (baby was completely weaned from breast milk by 12 months). Didn't try any of the other brands of formula, as baby seemed to tolerate it well but you might need to try other brands if your baby doesn't like the first one you give.

Btw, if you've ever tried breast milk it too is very sweet

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Different babies take to different formula brands and if you ask most doctors, they'll tell you that they're all the same. I'm still b'feeding my 13mo, but for times when I'm out, she takes formula (Enfamil). Please note that with some b'fed babies, it might take a bit of experimenting and patience before they will take to formula.

It was quite a long process before we got our #2 to take formula (as compared to #1, who just loved milk --in any form). We started trying to introduce formula at around 7 mos, but she would have none of it and actually threw up a few times. We'd tried different brands --NanHA, Japanese brands, Isomil, Prosobee, etc. and it was only with Enfamil that she was able to keep it down and even then, it took months before she is able to finish 150mls. We started by mixing formula with BM and then slowly decreasing the BM and upping the formula until she is now able to take just formula.

Good luck.

tstmum is offline Registered User

Also, at 7 months you could try increasing the number of meals of solids per day to two then three if your baby wants to, some take a while to get used to it while others love food right from the start. Try introducing some pureed fruit and vegetables, too, mixing small amounts initially with some rice cereal (pumpkin was the first veggie I gave baby, and pear the first fruit). Make sure you try each new food for about 3 days to check for any reactions/intolerances before introducing a new food. Sometimes I'd steam and puree the food myself, other times I'd use jars of Organic baby food (particularly for fruit).

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User

I asked a majority of my colleagues who are also mum and we agree that it is very common for local chinese to use A+ since this is what most hospitals recommend (nurse usually tell you this is the most common/ popular). And most new mother fall for it since they don't know what else to select.
    I only breast-fed my daughter for 1 mth cause i had to go back to work and she was a big drinker. I never had enough milk for her. From day i, I had to supplement with formula and i was feeding her every 3 hrs. But i found A+ very sweet and my daughter started having problem with her 'poo poo' so we switched to japanese formula. we started with beanstalk, it wasn't sweet (my daughter hated it and took over 10mins to finish her bottle, previously less than 3 mins) and she 'poo" better. But later I learnt from some japanese mothers that in japan they usually only recommend Beanstalk for bb with weak digesting system since the formula is "mild" compared to others.
    And with Japanese formula you only upgrade once the child reaches 9mths so we switched to Meiji since my daughter's digesting system is absolutely normal and she's been drinking that since.

fennho is offline Registered User

i tot we shud never mix formula with BM?