Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tung Chung preschools - Sunshine House vs Greenfield vs Sun Island

jenayds is offline Registered User

Tung Chung preschools - Sunshine House vs Greenfield vs Sun Island

Hi,

Interested in any comments and experiences with these three preschools? Wondering which is most suitable for my 3 year old expat English-speaking son. Some up to date perspectives would be very welcome.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Hey Jen! Sunshine House in DB usually have places in the PM class? If not ask them if they will allow you to go to Tung Chung and be on the waitlist for DB.

Smurf went to DB for about 6 months and we didn't have a problem with it. We just preferred DMK because they had more Australian English ways of teaching and a little more Montessori training. Sunshine House was more American.

Cheers

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I don't have direct experience of those particular schools, but I have experience of schs like them and it's worth bearing in mind a few things, and having a few questions to ask them at the school-

a). Are the teachers qualified? And if so where did they qualify and what are they qualified for?
    A lot of these so called international kindergartens hire people purely because they are caucasion and have english as a first language.
    Ask if their teachers are registered with the EMB (the local HK education department), by law all teachers should be but not all are, mainly because a lot of teachers in these kindergartens wouldn't pass the registration proceedure.
    The teachers may have a degree, for example, but it may not be in education or teaching.

2). What curriculum do they follow, and from where? A lot of these kindergartens make up their own curriculums, or the teachers make them up month to month, term to term. All curriculums need to be tweaked with to suit local children etc. but they should follow a govt. approved curriculum- be it from England, Australia, USA etc.

- It's also worth nothing that a lot of these kindergartens are run as businesses, that's not say they don't have the children's best interests at heart, but they are still run for profit.

Personally I wouldn't send my son to any of the kindergartens in TC, but that's my personal opinion.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    double entry sorry.