Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playpens?

nicolac is offline Registered User

Playpens?

Hi,

I'm after some advice about playpens.

My little one is starting to move about.

Can anybody recommend a good one? Are babies happy in playpens?

thanks,

Nicolac

Mama Sunshine is offline Registered User
    I've used a playpen for my girl since she's 6 months. I found it worked for me as I could put her there with some toys whenever I need to go around the house and do my stuff. She's happy there until she turned 1. After turning 1, she wanted to move around and didn't like to be trapped inside the playpen with/without toys. I then to put color balls in like a ball pool for her to play...she was happy for a little while. After a few weeks, she would scream everytime I put her in like she's in jail...so I finally packed it up and put in storage at her 14mos.

I bought the esprit one from toysrus. Quite economical in the sense that it's only used for a few months!

capital is offline Banned
    We only used our playpen as a travel crib, and used it briefly when the youngest was a newborn until I was sure the 2 year old wouldnt't step on them. I haven't really ever heard of anyone using it for the baby to play in. It seems odd to me to confine your child like that. You are going to have to baby proof your house eventually, it might make the most sence to do it now.

nicolac is offline Registered User
    Hi Capital, I take your point, but we're not talking about hours at a time. Just so that I can do the dishes in the kitchen without worrying!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I'm also looking for a playpen, but one of these wooden ones, and quite large, that you put directly on the floor. Nicolac, maybe you can think about it if you want to use it a long time, as I think some of the foldable ones are limited by the weight of the baby.
    I've seen some plastic ones also, but I've not idea where to find them.

lucy0 is offline Registered User
    Hi Frenchy,
    I was also looking into something like that too b/c I think a playpen is too small for a baby to move around in once they know how to crawl. I saw some plastic one (superyard) online but I don't know if they ship to HK. They also have them on Toy's R us but not the one in HK. I think they have it at Mothercare and I saw a second hand one on this site http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/classif...abies-stuff/2/ but the seller said that it is about 1 meter square and I don't how big that is. Just worry that it might be too small.

Regards,
    Mommy Lee

MaiYe is offline Banned
    i saw a wooden fence thing that can form in a round circle selling at toyr'us now. did any mom used it before? any advice?

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    I never used a playpen. I didn't like the idea of restricting my kids, just made sure the house was safe for them to play in, and teach them the things that they must not touch.

My sister-in-law used a playpen - a little too much in my view - and her almost-3-yo tries to 'escape' by running away every time she takes him out of the pushchair. Maybe the 2 are not related, maybe they are!

Like TV, I think it's possible to fall down the slippery slope of using it more than is necessary - I don't believe that TV or playpens should be used as a babysitter.

What not put a stairgate across the kitchen door instead and have bubs in the kitchen with you while you do the dishes, or in the bathroom while you need to use the loo etc? My LO's love/d exploring the 'safe' cupboards in the kitchen....let them use a saucepan & spoon as a drum etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast