Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

10 month old won't hold bottle

BJMing is offline Registered User

10 month old won't hold bottle

I've been slowly weaning my 10 month old son onto the bottle in the past couple of months and he's taken to formula very well. He basically self-weaned after losing interest on the breast and now just takes one breastfeed at 7pm just before bedtime.

The only problem is, he just won't hold the bottle himself. He's perfectly capable of doing it since he's held it a couple of times last week, finishing off 150ml first thing in the morning when he was very very hungry. But he's not bothered to since. I tried to make him hold it at 7am in the past few days but he will take only 30ml and then throw the bottle aside. When I hold the bottle for him, he can finish 180ml in less than 10 minutes. I've tried to take the bottle away from him once he throws it aside but he just does not seem to be bothered. He doesn't even try to make it for it in the next feed. But if I hold it for him during the next feed, he can finish off 180ml.

Anyway ideas?

cybabe is offline Registered User
    i've got the same problem my girl she hate to hold the bottle by herself eventhough she can .
    any one can give some idea ?

carang is offline Registered User
    my boy was great holding his own bottle, my girl on the other hand was terrible. we couldn't get her to hold it until she was almost 15 months!

Mama Sunshine is offline Registered User
    my 14mos daughter has the same problem. She will scream and throw the bottle away if I get her to hold it.

Have you tried those bottle handles? Even though my girl wont use it neither, but you can see if it works for your bub since it does cost much for one.

cybabe is offline Registered User
    seems a bit hard to train her up to hold the bottle for a minute she gets grumpy and push it away.:blahblah

capital is offline Banned
    Since he is used to being BF it may be that he wants you to hold him. Everytime you BF he gets a cuddle. He probably associates sucking with not only food, but with comoft. Why not just hold him for his bottles, and at the table when you are eating then give him a cup with handles instead of a bottle. Before the invention of formula babies would have been held while eating for far longer than 10 months,, so it makes sense that he still needs that one on one contact with mom while taking a bottle.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Agree with capital. If he likes a cuddle, give him a cuddle!
    He'll decide when he's ready - why push it?

Ruth