Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most suitable HK prams for newborn ??

Tracey Nicole is offline Banned

Most suitable HK prams for newborn ??

Hi there,

I wrote and asked about the best light weight, easy to fold pram for HK recently?

I live in SOHO and have 50 steps to my apartment plus there are loads of stairs around HK. Thank you to everyone for your wonderful recommendations!!

In addition to your feedback, I have been doing some research plus I have just read 12 pages of threads (wow info overload).....

Anyway, if I am not wrong, the general view seems to be that the following four prams are the best light weight, easy to fold with one hand and taxi/stair friendly in HK....

*Maxi Cosi with Quinny Zapp
    *Combi (get lots of recommendations)
    *Graco EDT
    *Capella

Agree?

If you dont mind, please provide feedback on the following as I am keen to buy tomorrow.

*Best value for money
    *Best for bubs if she has to sleep in there for three-fours hours
    *Most lightweight

Many thanks and kind regards,

Trace

SOrry forgot to mention - which one is best for newborn and full reclinable...

*Maxi Cosi with Quinny Zapp
    *Combi (get lots of recommendations)
    *Graco EDT
    *Capella

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    One feature to watch out for in the Graco EDT is the smallish wheels. The EDT has been great for some people but I tried a friends out the other day and the maneuverability isn't as great.

We currently have a Graco mirage travel system that we bought second had. It has since become quite rickety and I've been looking into getting a new one for about a month now. After a month's sometimes obsessive research we're getting a Maclaren Techno XT this week! (yay!) Bubba is now 6 months old and we know exactly what we want strollerwise for our lifestyle (live far away, travel into town A LOT, loads of taxis, buses and on the train almost every day). The following features were what sold the Maclaren Techno XT for me;

1/ Suitable from birth (although some personal reviews beg to differ, we're intending to get it for the long haul for baby #2 -- and beyond? :))
    2/Lightweight
    3/Bigish wheels -- some comments on another HK based forum said on a thread that it's great for bumping up and down stairs -- which we do whenever we go to Soho as the overpass to the midlevels escalators have got a flight of stairs. Big enough wheels are useful in and around midlevels and soho -- pavement cracks and cobblestones dont bother you too much (I hear it's a nightmare with the graco edt)
    4/Weather resistant
    5/One hand umbrella fold -- you wouldnt believe how many taxi drivers I've asked to hold my baby while I fold our current buggy!
    6/4 Positions including a lie down flat one
    7/Height adjustable handles -- terrific if you and your partner are of different heights or if you're tall
    8/Great warranty -- one of the reasons Im a mac user too.. warranties are terrific.

The most common negative feature I've read about it is that the basket is a bit too small -- this doesnt bother me much as I usually just keep the raincover and my baby bjorn in the basket. 2 absolute essentials -- I wonder how people with threewheelers without shopping baskets get by sometimes! :P I suppose it's not too big a deal if you're not traveling far from where you live.

Anyway, here's the link http://www.maclarenbaby.com/asia/ind...105&Itemid=497

Good Luck and I'll let you know how it goes with the XT!

Oh and you might also want to consider a lesser known alternative the Silvercross Dazzle. Mothe&Baby magazine raves about it and it's also lightweight and suitable from birth.

Speculator is offline Registered User
    I agree, we have been using a Techno XT in England for 11 months and its been virtually faultless.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Have you also considered getting a baby carrier or sling?

We used to live up 136 steps. I used a baby sling rather than a pushchair until my babies were about 18 months old.

I found with a pushchair I ended up carrying both baby and pushchair.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    We have a quinny Zapp and it is fab for scooting about town & for travel. It's great for the first 6-months with the maxi-cosi cabrio because you can just plonk it into the frame (great & safe for taxi usage in hk). However, when used as a buggy, it doesn't recline, and has no shopping basket. That said, I just came across this shopping basket attachment for it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUGGY-STROLLER...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks very much for this Nat and Spec - I have checked out the link.

It looks super great but it is 6.4kg and doesnt look like it can fully recline allowing a new born baby to sleep for a couple of hours when I am out? Can it fully recline?

Essentially, I want to go to work on and off whilst bubs is 5 weeks or so. We have a quiet room out the back so am keen for her to have a little snooze in the pram whilst I get a few things done. Just like mummies do if they own their own business i guess.

Yes Barbwong, I have purchased a baby bjorn and sling and will use them where appropriate. The reaon I want a pram as well is so I can go out for coffee, lunch, office, friends house or whatever and my little one can sleep instead of having to be nursed in the sling/on my lap. Make sense?

I welcome any feedback on this. At this point... it seems the combi is still my preferred option.

thanks and take care, trace

augustbump is offline Registered User
    hi Tracey

I am in the similiar situation as you are. I am tossing between Combi - miracle turn model vs vx530 model.( And also considering the Maclarent XT). These 3 are my choices at the moment bc of the lightweight issue ( i have a bad back), fully reclineable and suitable for new born and one hand fold criterias.
    Combi however has very small wheels compared to Maclarent XT and as per an earlier poster comment - small wheels have their own disadvantages in the cobble stone enviroment in HK streets. At MotherCare - they told me that the all in weight for Maclarent XT is 7.8kg but its stabile and durable ( as compared to Combi models- which is more " flimsy" due to lighter weight.Having said that I love the one hand fold feature with the combi model - ( one shake and voila! the best part is that the stroller stands!- truly the best I have come across.)

I will be going to Ocean Terminal this afternoon to have one final look before deciding which stroller to buy.

Its tough deciding. I think whichever stroller we end up - there will be pros and cons.Wish you luck and let us know what you end up getting!

AugustBump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast