Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LLL_Sarah

how to resume breastfeeding after stop for 4 months

keewei.lim is offline Registered User

how to resume breastfeeding after stop for 4 months

im looking for an advise on how to resume breast feeding after stopped for 3 months. Because my wife stopped breast feeding after one month she delivered. As she found that her milk supply was not sufficient. but due to our children are having sensitive on fomula milk, and we are thinking resume breast feed to our baby. she has totally no milk now, and has been stop for 4 months. anything we can do to enhance the breast milk supply?
    your advise is highly apprecited.

thanks

hkaussie is offline Registered User

Try this link for some information:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

Good luck!

rani is offline Administrator

Here's your reply. Looks like KL posted twice. The other thread has been deleted.

hkaussie is offline Registered User

ah ok! Thanks a lot :-)

capital is offline Banned

This site has DR. Jack newmans handouts and you should be able to find lots on relactating under the section on adoption

http://www.gentlemothering.ca/DrNewm..._Breastfeeding

I would suggest first finding someone to help you, a lactation counsellor or le leche league, or somene who knows a lot aobut helping women to BF. It is definatly possible but it will be hard work. The main challenges will be reestablishing milk, and getting the baby to nurse at the breast, that will likely be the harder part. I would try a supplemental nurser system myself if I was going through this.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

There are many different ways to tackle this problem and I would recommend getting as much support as you can from people who really understand breastfeeding - it isn't something to try alone.

Basically you need to do two things:

1. restart your milk supply
    2. get baby to drink at the breast.

To restart your milk supply you need to stimulate the breast at least eight times a day (10 times would be better) This means pumping or hand expressing every two hours during the day and every four hours at night - night pumpings are necessary. Don't pump for long just ten minutes each time - it is the number of times you do it that is important.. See if you can get a double pump - this will save time as both sides get simulated at the same time.

I would also consider taking a galactogogue - a substance which is used to increase the production of milk

The drug Domperidone (Motilium) is reported to help increase milk - see if your doctor (or the baby's) will prescribe it for you, http://breastfeedingonline.com/Dom19abcombinedpdf.pdf

Herbs that increase your milk, http://breastfeedingonline.com/24pdf.pdf

Getting the baby to suck at the breast may be a harder problem. If the baby will suck then using the lactation aid will help build up the milk supply because the baby is sucking directly on the breast (and more stimulating that any pump).

You really need the help of a lactation consultant or someone else who fully understands breastfeeding.

Good luck,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 06-10-2008 at 06:57 AM.
    Mksn likes this.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org