Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Agency - Helper from Cebu

kellyst is offline Registered User

Agency - Helper from Cebu

I'm looking to bring back an old helper from Cebu. I've recommended an agency my family has used for 20 years to many on this forum. However, they do not seem to have good contact in Cebu (he said he's working it out), and sounds like if we go via his contacts in Manila, she might have to go stay in Manila for a few weeks to get things done. Which I think it's quite ridiculous. (I still don't quite get what's there to do, but apparently, there is a LOT from what my agent is saying)

Does anyone has agency who has good contacts in Cebu? i'd be willing to switch to an agency with good referral, if they have corresponding offices in Cebu. Any recommendations welcome...

I am also thinking about hiring direct, but a bit afraid of all the leg work involved and things that can go wrong. Can someone who has experience doing it all on their own comment on it?

thanks.

rani is offline Administrator
    When we hired our helper (from Manila), we asked her to find out which agencies were in area and to make sure they had a HK office. Once she selected one, I called the local office and sorted out all the charges etc. Getting all the documentation (training papers/leave documents) from her end is hard, so would recommend she researches the agencies in Cebu and find out which is the best.
    Last edited by rani; 06-13-2008 at 09:26 AM.

mailmail is offline Registered User
    I have first hand experience in the hiring process. It is quite straightforward. The logistics is:-

1. Go to HK immigration to get a complete set of forms and contracts for "Hiring a Foreign Domestic Helper"
    2. Send the forms to your helper and ask her to fill in and send it back to you together with the document listed therein
    3.Meanwhile, go to the Philippines Consulate and get a list of required document and forms
    4. Get one of the forms notorised (you will know which one) & purchase a one way open or date changeable air ticket from Phil to HK
    5. When you get the package from the Philippines, take the complete pile of documents + air tic to the consulate for verification
    6.then take the verified forms to the hk immigration
    7. wait 2 weeks for a postcard
    wait 6 more weeks for the visa sticker
    8. send sticker to maid
    9. maid does her part of the logistics as below
    10. maid comes to hk

an agent will usually charge you around $3000 including a one way ticket, DIY costs you about $2500 in total including one way tic.

From her end, she should call POEA Tel: (632) 722 1160 or (632) 722 1193 and find out whether she needs to get all the followings, maybe she doesn't:-
    1. National Certificate for HSW from TESDA
    2. Certificate of competency from OWWA
    3. Medical check at POEA accredited clinic/hospital
    4. Attend Pdos
    3. Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)

kellyst is offline Registered User
    Just out of curiosity Rani, I understand that the helper has to pay the Philippines agency some money as well. Did you take care of that or did your helper handled those charges on her own?

rani is offline Administrator
    Kelly, I found the helper through a friend and she wasn't registered at any agency. Hence she didn't have to pay a finders fee. I only paid approx $3000 to process her papers and one way ticket. Obviously, if things didn't work out the agency would not have given me a replacement helper. Am glad I took the risk cos she's been with us now for 4 years.