Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sleeping with and feeding baby at night

rach is offline Registered User
    shouson hill

Sleeping with and feeding baby at night

I have a nearly four week old and I'm breastfeeding - it is my second baby and we had lots of sleep problems with the first so trying to be careful but at the same time very tired so it is a balance and this baby seems very different. I have the best nights sleep if I have the baby in bed and breastfeed whenever he wakes but I realised last night he wakes more frequently but it is faster for him to go back to sleep (and I fall asleep while feeding). He also sleeps better in the bed in the day so perhaps it is more comfortable or familar. My question is if i am feeding more at night then I expect he takes less in the day and in the long run more difficulty getting him to sleep though.

I am trying to settle him in other ways - usually he stirs when he goes down so knows where he is and sleeps for 2 to 3 hour stretches but generally needs to be wrapped and held but i figure he is only 4 weeks! it is a big improvement on my first son!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    you said it exactly, he's only 4 weeks. if he's hungry, feed him. if you're tired, try to sleep. if this is working for you, then don't worry about it!

my motto is, "whatever works!" (within reason, of course!)

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Agree with Cara. If he's happy, be happy. He's a tiny being that likes to snuggle up to mom at night. He'll settle later.
    I had my son in bed with me until he was 10 months. Once I put him in his own cot, he slept great.