Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adiri Natural Nurser

Smiles is offline Registered User

Adiri Natural Nurser

Has anyone had any experience using an adiri natural nurser along side breastfeeding?

I hope to breast feed after giving birth but my husband and I like the idea of him being able to 'get invovled' and give our baby a bottle as well. The adiri seems to be recommended as having a 'natural' teet for the baby.

KKKK is offline Registered User

I havn't used mine yet as the baby is still not born but I bought one the other day and I am really pleased with the design. The whole top section is soft and I can see how is mimics breast feeding much more than other bottle teats that claim to do the same.

Definately worth looking into. I got my mine from the milk factory website - let me know if you need the link. It was delivered the next day or maybe one day later so that was excellent as well.

x

Smiles is offline Registered User

Thanks KKKK I just had a look at their website!

Gumboots is offline Registered User

Sterilizing Adiri bottles?

Hi

I agree the Adiri bottles look great. Can you tell me how you plan to sterilize them? I am the same as you and plan to breastfeed but would like my husband to be able to give the baby a bottle sometimes (and give me a rest!) so I plan on having a couple of bottles but won't have a sterilizer like I would if I was mostly bottlefeeding.

The Milk Factory site says that the Adiri bottle cannot be heated above 100C? I assume this means you can't sterilize it by boiling as I would have planned to do. What other options are there? I don't want to buy a proper sterilizer etc - too $$$!!

Thanks!

rachrobin is offline Registered User

Hi Gumboots,
    The actual Adiri website says they can be boiled or used in any basic sterilizer. They do, however, say the bottles only have about a 3 month usage life, I think they are assuming you are using them only (and not breastfeeding).
    I am planning to buy them as well - just not sure how many to start off with (as hopefully only used as a supplemental feeder). How many are you going to start with?
    Cheers,
    Rach

Gumboots is offline Registered User

Thanks Rach :)

I have one BFree bottle at the moment but like the Adiri now as well! If it lasts for 3 months that should be long enough for me to work out which one baby likes best and then they'll have moved on to the next size anyway, right?

I won't use them at all for the first few weeks (I'm going to worry about nipple confusion even if it isn't proven!) and then generally I would only plan to use one bottle a day - two at the absolute most - so I'm not going to invest in many. I think I'm just going to buy one of the Adiri and then wait and see what happens once the baby is here...

Actually, I have a long way to go before I can even give one bottle a day as I have made NO decisions at all about pumps etc so am not sure how I'm even going to get the milk to the bottle!! At the moment the bottles are more about my fear that I'll have no milk and baby will need formula in the middle of the night ;)

So many decisions still to think about!!

cheers

rachrobin is offline Registered User

Hi again,

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am planning to have one bottle and a small tin of formula at the back of the cupboard for peace of mind. Hopefully I won't have to use the formula, and I'm planning to use the bottle once a day after about 6 weeks to give dad a go.

I think I'll be sending Robin out to buy the pump once we work out how to breastfeed (lucky him!).

Take care,

Rach

Bubbly is offline Registered User

AS Sarah from LLL might say, you will always have enough milk when breastfeeding. I expressed milk for my baby for 10 months and she was breastmilk-fed exclusively for the first 6 months.

What I do suggest is to pump and save for the first few months when the baby will not need so much milk, so you can easily store (plus it will help engorgement). I used the mini electric when I went out and then the Symphony when I pumped at home (the symphony does both breasts at the same time so was good for someone like me who needed to pump 8 times a day), but I also like the mini electric. Both are by Medela.

For the bottles, Adiri can be sterilised using boiling water but with sterilisers, you need to be careful as some heat up to be above 100 degree and will ruin the bottles. When boiling them, I put a towel around the edges of my pot so that the plastic bit do not touch the metal bits, I do this with my heat pads which I used for warming up my breasts before pumping too (warming up helps me get more milk it seemed).

As for the life of the bottles, it suggests 3 months as the bottles comes in 3 sizes (Stage 1 for up to 3 months old; Stage 2 for 3 -6 months; and Stage 3 for 6 months up), this actually is the same for other bottles where you change the nipples every 3 months. This is for the reason of both the flow rate and also hygiene.

I would suggest that you just get Stage 1 to begin with and go from there (or Stage 2 if you think you will only start bottle feeding after 3 months).

Seriously, do not worry about not having enough milk supply, as long as you are letting the milk out, through the baby sucking or pumping, your breast will make enough milk. For me, at first, I only have like 30ml a pump making a total of around 250ml a day, but that was also how much my baby needed then! At the peak, I was pumping a litre a day even though my baby didn't drinnk that much, I really felt like a cow!!! As my baby began on solids, her needs went down again and so did the supply (also because I became a little lazier and pumped only 3-4 times a day) but she still had enough.

Breast milk is the best you can give to the baby, so good luck and I would gladly help anyone with questions. I also suggest for all first time mothers-to-be to attend LLL's tea breaks and meetings (they are all free) but it was SOOOOO helpful to have support of the leaders and also share problems and solutions with other mothers going through the same thing. We also got practice breastfeeding in public (together! haha) at Starbucks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast