Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sterilising - Until when?

fennho is offline Registered User

Sterilising - Until when?

Now that my gal is going to start solids soon, i'm wondering do i still need to sterilise her utensils ie her plates, spoons, sippy cups etc. If i do, when shud i do it until?

adahc is offline Registered User
    Fen,
    I sterilize all his plates and spoon and plan to do it till he is one.

carang is offline Registered User
    when my girl and boy were each about 8-9 months, we stopped sterilising. so long as the things are properly cleaned and rinsed there shouldn't be any problem. a few germs are actually good for kids.

what prompted us to stop was finding our crawling child chewing on a slipper.... wasn't much point after that!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    In fact you can stop sterilising around 5 months, when your baby starts to take a lot of things to his mouth. If you clean properly his bottles, plates, spoons, there is no need to sterilise anymore. If you feel better with doing it, then... but if it's something you would like to get rid of, then you can !

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you are starting solids then utensils just need to be cleaned - not sterilised.

In fact the guidelines for feeding breast milk in bottles also suggest cleaning well and that sterilising is unnecessary.

"Containers should be washed in hot, soapy water, rinsed well, and allowed to air-dry before use. Containers may also be washed and dried in a dishwasher."
    From Storing Human Milk, a tear off sheet published by LLLI in June 2008 (Contact me at [email protected] or 2548-7636 if you would like a copy.)

This is because human milk's anti-bacterial properties actually help it stay fresh longer. The live cells and antibodies in the milk that discourage the growth of bacteria in your baby's intestines also guard against bacterial growth when the milk is stored in a container.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

fennho is offline Registered User
    thanks everyone

adahc
    erm...so that means u need to buy utensils that are able to be sterilised?

where can i get those silicon spoons to feed bb to avoid hurting bb's tender gums for her first few bites?

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Hi Fenho!

I had to start K on solids for 5 months (he was on baby rice mixed with EBM until 5 months so he got the same amount of milk everyday)

I really really like the Anabel Karmel weaning set by Lindam. It's bright red and you can tell she's put a lot of research into them. My son loves them and he's been trying to self feed since the beginning (at 6 and a half months now, I'm currently soaked in baby yoghurt) They're available at mothercare and bumps to babes

I would also recommend Anabel Karmel's "http://www.amazon.com/Top-Baby-Purees-Annabel-Karmel/dp/0091904994

It gave me some fantastic ideas and will be useful for a good couple of years. This copy, unlike Anabel Karmel's other books is quite hard to track down but I got mine at Pollux books at the airport express station at IFC. There is also one at Kowloon Station (yay for you :)) at the airport express bit and I'm sure they'll order it for you if they don't have stock.

One of the things I got from the book was using natural sweeteners like a sprinkle of cinnamon is perfectly fine from 6 mos. on. So far K's favourite has been pureed apple, pear and cinnamon.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    The Tommee Tippee weaning range is also good I hear

Sorry pressed the button too quick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast