Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

HK Immigration and newborns

rani is offline Administrator
    JoTs,

I keep a copy of our son's birth certificate with his passport. As we tend to travel separately without Dad sometimes and I still use my maiden name and he has Dad's, airlines do ask for proof that we are related. I know its crazy, but with child kidnapping airlines are taking extra precautions.

Speculator is offline Registered User
    I might be wrong but I don't think your son will qualify for PR. Instead he will qualify for "Right to Land."

Speculator is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by JoTs View Post
    My son was born in the UK so he has just had a visa up till now, like me. However, we are in the process of applying for PR for him as well - he should get it as my husband has PR, was born here and is chinese...

I might be wrong but I think your son only qualifys for "Right to Land" and not "Right of Abode"

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_3_1.htm

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Children born to HK permanent residents (who are not of Chinese origin) and born in HK do get permanent residency- however it is subject to a number of conditions.

According to info. I was given by the immigration depart. ( I am HK PR, British passport holder, not of chinese origin. My husband is not PR, and not of chinese origin),

- My son (born in HK) has the right of abode.
    - If I, or my son, live outside of HK for a continuous period of more than 36 mnths we both lose our right of abode and permanent residency.
    - Once my son reaches the age of 21 yrs, he will have to re-stablish his permanent residency by proving that he has lived in HK for a continuous period of 7 yrs and has made HK his permanent home.
    - However my son will always keep his 'right to land,' allowing him to live, work and study in HK without restriction.

JoTs is offline Registered User
    We are just applying for PR for my son as it will be more convenient... he has a dependent visa till 2011 so not a problem if they don't grant PR - just thought it was worth a try...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12