Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Brands & things

TreenJ is offline Registered User
    Hi, I think there are two separate threads now with discussions on strollers/prams etc. so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

We don't have, and are hoping to avoid getting, a car - is that the same with most of you? If so, what is the plan in terms of taking baby in taxis etc? I am a wimp, with no upper body strength, and some friends here who have already had babies said it was worth while getting as light a pram as possible with a detachable capsule that can be buckled in as a car seat.
    Their advice was first and foremost if you are without car to go for the lightest pram, and most easy to fold. Then, to go for one that has a capsule that can double as a car seat (buckled in). This is not allowed in Australia, but is apparently fine in HK.

Combi was one of the recommendations. I haven't even started actually looking but have read these don't feel as "sturdy", but the lightness more than compensates?

Any thoughts on prams/strollers for car-free mums?

Treen.

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    Haven't thought that much about taxis.... Should do really. But, when bubs is small, we were considering having him in a sling on me/hubby whilst in the car/taxi? Not sure if that would work. My only concern about the car seat thing is, either you'll have to lug around the car seat with you all day, or it's attached to the stroller with baby sitting in it all day.... and the recommendation is that baby does not spend more than 2 hours in car seat!? Don't know. That's just what came to mind.... cos you can't leave the car seat behind whilst you do the shopping/whatever!

kmalia is offline Registered User
    i do have a car, but realize it will be inevitable to have to take taxis (when getting home from central, etc).

we did buy an 'infant system' which is an infant carseat (or 'pod') which detaches from the base (which stays in the car), and also locks onto a stroller base. BUT, if you don't own a car, these types of systems can get expensive as 1/2 of the cost is for the carseat and base.

I have heard that even with a proper carseat, most people don't strap the babies in while in taxis anyway as 1) some taxi seatbelts don't work or are too short and 2) the rides are too short to bother.

I think if I must go into central and take a taxi home, we're just going to see how it goes with the sling/carrier - even though it certainly doesn't meet safety standards...

Tigerlily is offline Registered User

prams and car sets

Hi
    I am in the middle of buying a pram and i have the same concern as you.
    For what I have heard we should really go for the lightest, smallest and easy to fold one.
    I have already narrowed my choice down to the Bugaboo Bee and the Quiny Buzz. On both you can use the maxicosi car seat (you have to buy the adaptors tho) which is suitable from new born till 13kg, which means you can detach the maxicosi (with the baby still on it), buckle it in the car (no need of adaptors or platform) ans simply fold the frame...hope I managed to give you an idea!

The prams I have mentioned are quite expensive tho, far above the average (i.e. Combi, Aprica or Peg Perego) but they are very versitile and you can use since the baby is 3 or 4 years.

Hope this helps!

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    We didn't look at the Quinny buzz but the Bugaboo Bee doesn't stand up when folded.... Not sure if that's a problem?

ninahh is offline Registered User
    does anyone know where i can buy nursing covers?

Smiles is offline Registered User
    I've read somewhere here on geobaby about 'babe au lait' nursing covers (not sure how to spell it) but I think they have to be ordered from overseas.

ninahh is offline Registered User
    yes found that one too, they have to be ordered. but they have a shop in macao, but do i really wanna go to macao for a nursery cover???

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast