Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help preganant wife arriving in HK in 4 weeks

Jeremy Clarkson is offline Registered User

Help preganant wife arriving in HK in 4 weeks

Hi,

I have already moved to Hong Kong and my familly arrives in four weeks- wife and two children. My wife is presently 9 weeks pregnant. Clearly we are unfamiliar with the HK system but my wife is keen to ensure that she can give birth in the Mathilda. So what do we need to do to make sure she has the best care once she arrives and also is able to give birth in the Mathilda. Any recommendations on doctors we should register with is there what consutants should she see and when etc. I am sure thiese naive questions are answered elsewhere in the forum but not sure what I dont know so any help gratefully received

KR

J

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi, to gurantee a bed at the Matilda your wife will need to go to see a obstetrician as soon as she gets here.
    I went to my Dr at 7 wks with my 2nd pregnancy and at 33 wks am still wait listed for a bed at the Matilda.
    Your best bet is a Dr who only delivers at the Matilda, as they seem to get priority for patients.....however it also means that if for whatever reason they can't get your wife a bed, you won't have the choice of any other private hospitals, and private Drs do not deliver in govt. hospitals.

Dr. Dawkins is one Dr who only delivers at Matilda, however he is leaving HK this summer. A replacement Dr is taking over his practice so you could call the clinic to enquire about him.

Dr. Doo has close links with the Matilda, so he is also worth a visit.

Thanks for this So do I just book an appointment with the consulant for my wife for the morning we arrive in HK (i.e. asap)?

KR

J

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Can also try Dr. Sally Ferguson. She is a Matilda doctor (office is in Wan Chai, sort of behind Immigration Tower).
    And yes, see the ob-gyn ASAP because the earlier you book the greater the chances.
    Keep in mind Matilda is a small place--3 or 4 birthing rooms and a limited number of recovery rooms, so when they start to push their birth limit, they stop accepting people.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User
    Another choice is Dr Gosh. has is clinic in Central http://www.veritas-medical.com/
    If you need a good pediatrican for follow up after the birth than go to Dr Thandoup he works with Dr Gosh and share the same office. Both live next to the Matilda. Had them both during my pregnancy and would definitely go back to him for # 2.

Tracey Nicole is offline Banned
    as mentioned by beky - it would be remiss of me not to share the risk with the matilda.

i am with dr dawkins and at 34 weeks i am still not confirmed (i booked at 13 weeks - my fault). it seems the priority at the matilda is for patients who book VIP or private rooms.

a worry for me is that i have just gone/am going through my pregnany journey with Dr Dawkins but if there is not a bed on the day (so to speak) I will have to get to the public hospital and go with an unknown doctor in a hospital i dont know with a much different system.

however it is also important to note that if the birthing rooms are being used and a confirmed person comes along, they would have to go public.

anyway this is where God and grandma kick in.... i am sure my prayers will be answered.

dr lord and ferguson come very highly recommended so perhaps call them - who knows if you can send the results through and /or pay or have your current doctor call or whatever... they may be able to book your wife into a private hospital before seeing your wife.

hope i have helped. cheers,

Thanks everyone, this really helps I guess I had better get on the phone tomorrow and get her booked in.

Kind regards

JC

soon2bmom is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    This is what we did when I was just 6 weeks pregnant: my husband and I emailed the Customer Relations manager at Matilda and made an appointment to take a tour there. Then we asked for a complete list and contact info of all the obgyns who deliver there. Then we randomly chose one and have been seeing him since. We booked the bed through the doctor.
    I'm sure they can email that list to you if you ask. You can find the email address at Matilda's website.
    http://www.matilda.org/eng/index.php
    Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast