Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When do we need to feed fully breastfed babies WATER?

fennho is offline Registered User

When do we need to feed fully breastfed babies WATER?

I've just been to the paed for my gal's final 5in1 jab. He commented that i shud try to give my gal some water altho he's fully aware that she's on total BF. I told him that i tot fully breastfed babies dont need water but he commented saying i shud give a little bit.

Question : When do we give fully breastfed babies water? I've read much on water intoxication. She's 5.5mths now. Some told me if i dont try to feed her water now, she may have difficulty drinking plain water when she's older cos milk is sweet

Comments?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Most medical bodies, including the World Health Organization, and La Leche League recommend exclusively breastfeeding for six months and then introducing appropriate complementary foods while continuing to breastfeed.

If you give water your baby will no longer be exclusively breastfed. Most babies need to have some water as their solids food becomes less runny.

I know lots of babies that didn't get given water until they were eight or nine months old and had no problem. I think the problem comes when you introduce other sweet liquids, such as apple juice to the baby. I would try to avoid these sweet liquids for as long as possible.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I give water to my baby since he is 5 months. I also BF him, but they need more water during summer. There is no risk about giving him some water, Volvic and Evian are some of the waters you can give a baby, as they have a low mineral level. It didn't change anything about his taste for my milk. I also give him a bit of fruit juice diluted in water, because they have vitamines (there are fruit juices for babies, with no sugar).

rani is offline Administrator
    I also gave D water early. I think at 2 or 3 months. D was born in the middle of summer and he would get all sweaty and wet if he wasn't in an air-conditioned room. So we gave him an oz or two of water in between feeds. We didn't give him juices until much later. Till today he prefers water over juice.

capital is offline Banned
    YOur correct, babies don't need water as BM is 90% water and 10% solids. I gave a litttle water starting around the same time I introduced solids, but I gave it as part of learning to drink from a cup, I would give a bit of water in a valveless sippy cup and baby mostly played in it for a long time before he did learn to drink from a cup. Water is a good first for a cup over juice, you could also use breastmilk. I didn't as I'm too lazy to bother with pumping.

Just wanted to add that when it is hot you will find baby may have a few extra quick feeds for thirst, follow baby's lead with demand feeding and you can't go go wrong, baby knows if he is thirsty to BF more often.
    Last edited by capital; 06-17-2008 at 11:27 PM.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    i think feeding water early is more for them to get used to the taste. we were discussing with our paed as so many children has constipation problem now, it's good to get them used to drinking water.
    we started feeding water earlier for my second child (my first is horribly consipated now), even tho he's on all BF otherwise, he still doesn't like the taste of water compared to milk. we do it more to get him used to water drinking. i don't think a oz here and there would interfere with BF-ing.
    i agree with Rani, it's wise to build up the habit from a young age.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I was sent an e-mail today from the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA).

"NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Babies younger than six months old should never be given water to drink, physicians at Johns Hopkins Children's Center in Baltimore remind parents. Consuming too much water can put babies at risk of a potentially life-threatening condition known as water intoxication.... "
    http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...76777020080527

SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

fennho is offline Registered User
    thanks sarah, this was exactly what i'm talking about cos my hubby sent me the article. On the other hand, does that mean, i shud be introducing water once baby starts eating solids? If yes, how much is the recommended amount? thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast