Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby climbing out of crib

Bubbly is offline Registered User

baby climbing out of crib

My 14month baby has just discovered how to climb out of her crib (even though it is on it lowest setting already). She doesn't know how to climb out of bed so cannot move her to a toddler bed yet and she would just climb over the bed guards!

I have also used a bed tent, but she has figured out how to get that open too.

Anyone have any idea what I can do? At the moment, we are stuck with her sleeping in between my husband and I.

Nula is offline Registered User

When my children started doing that I installed a gate on their bedroom door and made sure the room was a safe as possible (they tended to just stand at the gate anyway). We also just left the side down - it still was about 30cms above the mattress. You just have to keep putting them back to bed with little contact.

Some gates are higher than others.

Nula is offline Registered User

the other option is to put the mattress directly on the floor - better than a broken arm !

NAC
    NAC is offline Registered User

Nula is right, that's the best you can do.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

As soon as my babies could walk I taught them how to climb down from our bed. It is easy to teach and they catch on very quickly.

First lie them down on the bed, then get them to turn over so they are lying on their tummy. Then slowly swing them so their feet are hanging over the edge of the bed and let them slip down so that their feet hit the floor first. I found that after a few days they could climb out of bed without any problems.

My babies slept in my room until they were at least two years old so I never had to worry about them doing this when no one was about.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by barbwong_130 View Post
    As soon as my babies could walk I taught them how to climb down from our bed. It is easy to teach and they catch on very quickly.

First lie them down on the bed, then get them to turn over so they are lying on their tummy. Then slowly swing them so their feet are hanging over the edge of the bed and let them slip down so that their feet hit the floor first. I found that after a few days they could climb out of bed without any problems.

My babies slept in my room until they were at least two years old so I never had to worry about them doing this when no one was about.
    We taught our 2YO the same method when he became mobile. A few lessons and a few "Please get down the correct way" comments and he was fine.
    Of course once he knows how to do this, he can apply it to any bed/sofa so don't be surprised if he starts off sleeping somewhere, wakes up and wanders. The gate is a good idea if you are worried about where he might wander off to.

capital is offline Banned

If he can get out then it is not safe to keep putting him in there. My child fell out around the same age, so we put a matress directly on the floor at first, then up on the frame when he was about 22 months, he did need a stool at first to get in and out and fell out a few times, but the floor is carpeted. now he is about 2 1/4 and can get in and out fine. The bedroom is 100% childproofed and he still can't open the door knob yet.

Bubbly is offline Registered User

Thanks all for the tips, I will have a think about how best to do this and will definitely try to teach her to climb out.