Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feeding advice for skinny BF 9 months-old.

Jeanmom is offline Registered User

Feeding advice for skinny BF 9 months-old.

Dear all,

My daughter just turned 9 months-old a week ago and had her doctor visit. She is on the skinny side and weighs only 15lbs15ozs at 9 months. Her weight dropped from 50th percentile at 4 months to 10th percentile right now. She is active, happy and very verbal; yet, her doctor was a little concerned about her weight gain. She recommended cutting back breastfeeding a little and feeding her more solid instead. Isn?t it true that breastmilk remains as the main source of nutrient of baby?s diet before 12 months?

Daughter still has 4 nursing sessions every day and is on solid 3 times a day. Should I give her solid before breastfeeding or it doesn?t matter?

How many nursing sessions should a 9 months-old have?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Koan is offline Registered User

I think as long as she is gaining weight, happy and active then don't change anything. BF babies, as far as I am aware, gain weight at different rates, so sometimes she may gain a lot quickly, other times her weight may increase slowly over a longer period. I think you're right, breast milk should be her main source of nutrients and solids, at this point, are all extra, to be offered after BM.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

please don't worry and have a look at this breastfed girls chart: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart3.html
    Many HK doctors are probably unfamiliar with the growth patterns of BF babies (they tend to be a lot leaner than formula babies after 6 months). You baby girls is not underweight for a BF baby and as long as she is meeting her developmental milestones you are doing well!!! Don't let doctors scare you... some don't have all the update info.

Last edited by wasabibunny; 06-29-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typos

Jeanmom is offline Registered User

Thanks wasabibunny. I haven't been on board for a while and now we are facing another set of challenges. Daughter is still on the skinny side and I've already accepted it. As long as she is happy and active, I feel good about it.

Thanks again.

JandIinHK is offline Registered User

i would recommend giving solids first and trying to seperate milk from solids. BF babies don't tend to be as happy to move onto solids.

my 8 month is down to 3 bf a day.

annabel karmel is a good book for giving balanced diet.

remember breast milk doesn't have as much iron etc in it as formula, so after 6 months, when a babies natural iron runs out, you need to be careful.

7.30 - cereal with milk/or creamy baby cereal
    8.30 - bf (4mins)
    12.15 - meet & veg, yogurt and/or fruit (water from cup)
    3pm - bf (15-20mins)
    5.30 - carbs/starchy veg e.g. lentils, potato, cauliflower cheese, fruit & rice (water from cup)
    6.45 - bf (30-40mins)

ultimately if your baby is happy and sleeping properly, you should trust your instincts.

Hope this helps.