Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Getting from the airport with lots of luggage

wanfamily is offline Registered User

Getting from the airport with lots of luggage

Hi,
    I'll be arriving at HK airport in a few weeks with 2 children - (a toddler and a newborn - both with car seats,) a husband, about 4 medium suitcases and 2 small strollers. The plan was to take 2 taxis (ie 1 adult per taxi) or try to hire a van - seat belts for the children's car seats being a priority. However, my in - laws (who are Chinese) are saying that taxi's don't let you use car seats and that 2 taxi's won't be enough if we use the car seats because taxis in Hongkong are small (?).
    Does anyone have any suggestions/ experiences travelling from the airport with a lot of luggage and children in tow? Or alternatively are there luggage delivery services or something similar at the airport?
    Many thanks,
    Cath

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi, I use my rear facing maxi cosi car seat in HK taxis all of the time - no problem. I am not sure how it would work with forward facing car seats for old children though. If you want to hire a "limo" with a baby seat in it to pick you up from the airport you can do this through Brunel Asia Limos.

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    Thanks - that's good to know. My newborn will be in something similar. My older one is in a 'sit 'n stroll' which is usually ok with most seat belts. I'll check out the limo company too.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I don't think you would have a problem using car seats in a taxi. The only problem would be strapping it in before the driver takes off. They don't seem to wait for people to get their seatbelts on. I think the taxis are a pretty good size, too. Not small at all.
    All the best,
    Katie

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Two taxis sounds perfectly feasible. They are quite roomy in the back and have good boot capacity for luggage. In fact, if your cases are all medium sized and your strollers are umbrella-style, you might even fit in one taxi!

Or check out Hong Kong airport's website and see if there is a limo service you can book... there probably is and you'll probably all fit in one limo. I know I can fit in between a maxi cosi cabrio and a Sit n Stroll on the back seat - done it many times. So with the slimmer adult between those two seats and the other adult in the front passenger seat, it shouldn't be a problem in a limo (unless your strollers are absolutely huge).

HTH

HappyV is offline Registered User
    There's no way to fit two adults, two car seats, two umbrella strollers and four suitcases in one taxi. Not a chance! (Most taxi drivers store bits and pieces in their trunks, anyway.
    I would book a van or hire car. All the airlines seem to have preferred services for limos etc - ask your airline if they have a deal in Hong Kong.

rebekah is offline Registered User
    also, with some limo companies they pick you up at the jetway and drive you through the airport to immigration... great when you have your hands full as it sounds like you do.