Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GOOD INT'L NURSERIES, KINDERGARTENS in YUEN LONG????

mannyw is offline Registered User

Dear all,

I currently reside in Yuen Long and I really need some recommendations on International Nurseries and/or Kindergartens in this area? IS THERE ANY place any one can recommend?

Otherwise I will relocate into the city and seek outside.

I'm planning with a long term view that my daughter heads into ESF Primary or a Good local school in the city.

Really appreciate if some one can get back to me with some referrals.

Thanks,
    M

spockey is offline Registered User
    A couple I can think of a few at the top of my head.
    If you are not a native english speaker, Gigaminds in Tin Shui Wai. They have a primary section that follows MI educational approaches. If you are a native speaker, Jing Jing Anglo Chinese (English/International) Section in San Hui. There's also New Generation (I'm unsure where it is but the closest that I know of is in Tuen Mun). It's for parents who want their kids in the local primary system though.

Klam is offline Registered User
    Most people I know who live in the Yuen Long area and wish to eventually send their children to ESF Primary, all attend the ESF kindergarden in Tsing Yi.
    There is also St.Lorraine's English kindergarden in Yuen Long which is good but they have much smaller classes at their other branch in Palm Springs. My daughter attended the one at Palm Springs and I think it's great preparing children for both international or local schools. My daughter managed to get into an International school for Primary whereas one of her classmates managed to get into Maryknoll girl school, one of the more prestigious local schools in Kowloon.
    I have also heard that Jing Jing Anglo in San Hui is a good kindie as well.

hey thanks a lot.

So St. Lorraine is good for preparing kids for either local or int'l primary.... I am native english speaker myself and now have this dilema.

So your child is in Int'l now and where do you guys live? You local or?

Hope to hear from you.

Thx,
    M

Hi mannyw

I'm british chinese and also a native english speaker and live at Fairview Park nr Yuen Long.
    We went through the same dilema when my daughter was in K2 and after going through all the advantages and diadvantages or local and Int'l, we decided Int'l would be better for her.

Also, I don't read or write chinese and my daughter would have needed tution everyday to help with her homework if we decided to send her to a local school.

Hi Klam,

I too am BBC, residing in YL as well but in Tai Tong.

My daughter is 16 months now and we need to urgently plan on her path *lol* My wife is local hknese so I guess she can help out on the homework.

If St. Lorraine's gives us the option to move into Int'l or ESF then that's fine with us. Means we don't need to move out into the city yet.

Otherwise I know that going to an ESF kindergarten will favor her when she goes for P1. Likewise for a renowned Int'l school.

So your daughter went to St. Lorraine's in Palm Spring. She speaks English and Chinese fluent? Many friend say I should do the English talking to her and Mum the Chinese.

Honestly some times it tires me speaking English to her.. I tend to mix it up.

Let me know your thoughts. Really would welcome some experience, been there, done that and got the t-shirt ;)

No plans for UK? Your hubby is local?

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Manny 

Hi mannyw

It is hard chosing which way to go isn't it? It really depends on what you plan on doing in the future. We plan on leaving HK and for my daughter to start her 'A' levels in the UK and hopefully Uni too (yes, we've been thinking way ahead).

If you plan on sending your daughter to ESF Primary, I strongly recommend you send her to the ESF Kindie otherwise it will be very hard to get into P1. We applied to ESF Shatin and explained that both sets of parents were raised in the UK and English was the first language at home and we didn't even get an interview due to our chinese surname. We were just put on a waiting list. However, all parents I knew that sent their children to ESF kindie managed to get into ESF P1.

My daughter was also accepted into a local girls school on HK island, but when I heard the amount of homework and tests they received every week, I kind of shuddered. I admit that many children learn to be very disciplined in their studies from attending the local system but my daughter would definately have suffered if I couldn't help her with her work.

When my daughter was about 16 month old, I spoke both cantonese and english with her and she managed both lanuages very well. However, my son who is now 2yrs, hardly speaks at all, so I'm thinking that maybe he is getting confused and that I should just stick to one language. Every child is different and you just have to go with the flow and decide what language works for your daughter. Also baring in mind, as they get older, English will be a lot easier for her to learn than cantonese.

My daughter is fluent in both cantonese and english with english being her first language. I mainly speak in english whilst my hubby and her grandparents speaks cantonese to her. The school has quite an intentive mandarin program, so her mandarin is also coming along quite well.

Hope I have helped and not made you more confused but like you, I am still learning all the time. It doesn't matter what age the child, there is so much to learn!

Take care

Wow, just realised I've been going on a bit, sorry if it's a bit long..LOL

Hi Klam,

Good to hear from you.

Future is similar to yours. Baby goes abroad to study for University. If earlier, then probably Secondary, not sure yet. But direction is she will study abroad.

As for ESF int'l or Int'l school or Local, decision still not made yet. Researching as much as possible now with my partner. Esf kiddie to Esf Primary or Int'l kiddie to Int'l school with strong chinese emphasis. Or local kiddie and try to get into int'l primary or esf primary (0 chance) or great local school.

Noted your point on the ESF thing with esf kiddie then P1. Just concerned about the weak Chinese here. Like you say, English is easy to pick up. Chinese is tough to pick up later ie. Reading and Writing.

So your daughter was accepted into a local girls school in HK Island, which one? She is studying where now? Tough? I just get the impression that any school on the outside will be better than the ones around here.

Dilema for me is only the Chinese reading and writing, really want her to be good with it.

I'm sure your son will start talking a lot soon.

Appreciate your kind assistance. No you're not confusing me but of great great help.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Have msn?

Thxxxxxx.
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast