Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mold Attack - Help Please!

snagito is offline Registered User

Mold Attack - Help Please!

Urgh.. Winter coats, under used backpacks, blazers, leather jackets, handbags, all have white spores and yucky mold on them. Wish I'd turned on the magic machines earlier but had forgotten. Now I have the dehumidis going at full speed inside the cupboards. Will put them on religiously, twice a day at minimum from now on. But what do I do with the stuff that already has mold on it -is there any hope? Should I just throw it all away -if I put it back in the cupboards will it reinfect other things? Please everyone let me know what you usually do and if there is a way to 'de-mold' the clothes and bags or best to just let them go? Thanks a million for all input!

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    I had that problem 2 months ago - the things that could be machine washed cleaned it all off, I used a mold remover first and then soaked it in vanish, worked well. The curtains I had dry cleaned as they had the black out on the back. Soft toys were washed. Clothes that couldn't go in the wash I took to the dry cleaners and they sorted it all out, think they are used to it here, happens a lot if you don't put dehumidifiers in the cupboards. Good luck

snagito is offline Registered User
    Thanks Cwbmum
    Which mold remover did you use? Is Vanish the mold remover or something else? Sorry I am so confused! Good idea on taking the clothes to the dry cleaners I will give that a go. What do you think about these magic bags that they sell where the air comes out? Do they keep the mold out? Worth using? Thank you very much for all input!

AnpanBaby is offline Registered User
    Dear snagito,

yes, those vacuumed bags do help, but just make sure that you let all the air out. besides, i also put the small dehumidifiers (those common at household stores) at the corners of my wardrobe to help.

anpanbaby

Whale is offline Registered User
    I have found the only way to kill mold is to use 'oil of clove'. It is available in places like Watsons. It can be used on shoes, handbags, walls, clothes or just about anything you can think about.

Prevention is the best cure.