Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

BCG reaction - OMG!!

carang is offline Registered User
    they gave both of my kids the bcg the day i took them home from the hospital at 3 days.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    the BCG is for TB. if you plan on remaining in hk for any length of time, i would suggest you do some more research on it and not let your judgement be based on having a scar.

if we were going to move back to canada shortly after the kids were born, we probably wouldn't have had it, however as we've decided to stay in hk for the foreseeable future, we decided to have it for the kids. TB is not eradicated in this area of the world as it is in others.
    I know it's shallow of me - and I definitely wouldn't NOT get the immunisation based on a scar!! But I WOULD pay extra for them to have a scar on their behind rather than on their arm where it's quite visible in the summer time and everything!!

I never realised that TB was still such a big issue in Hong Kong!!

I wonder if I've ever been immunised against it. I'd have to ask my mother!!

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    I think there are medical reasons for where they choose to do the vaccinations. If my daughter had had the vaccination in her bottom, then she would have been in considerable trouble. The reaction was the size of a 10 pence piece, there was pus coming out of it. It would have been at more serious risk of infection from the poo and wee in her nappy. She wouldnt have been able to sit down without extreme pain. It hurt her enough as it was on her leg. There will and should be some reaction to a BCG, but not normally the size my daughter had.The scar is getting smaller slowly, and I am sure will be of no concern to her when she is older.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    my daughter - now 11 months old - got the BCG vaccination in the MCHC after she came out of the hospital at 8 days.
    she also developed an infection on her arm (with pus) only about 1-2 months later, so i took her to the hospital as i was worried about the development.
    the doctor gave us an ointment called fucidin and told us to clean the area twice daily. back in switzerland, the pharmacist told me that fucidin is a pretty strong ointment, and we should try not to use it (use bepanthen instead). anyway, we left it at that, and after a few check-ups at the hospital in hk, we stopped being concerned about it. it's healed now, but she does have a scar...

Cici is offline Registered User
    Am very very annoyed with my last private pedo who was a last minute stand-in for Dr Joseph Pang- she gave my daughter the shot in the arm a few days after birth when we were at the Matilda, no question of whether we wanted to have it in the thigh. My daughter is now 8 mths old and still has a very nasty scar in that area.
    Also she was very insistant that my daughter she have light treatment even though she was being breast-fed at that time, she took her blood by SCRAPing at her heel into a test tube- whereas in Matilda the technican did a really quick blood taking from the heel - LO hardly ever made a whimper at the hosiptal whereas she screamed her lungs out at the peds office. And the icing on the cake was when I refused to send her into the hospital for light therapy she said " You daughter could be mentally damaged if you don't give her the phototherapy"- this was after I took her to Dr Dannie Ting who said my daughters levels were acceptable for BF babies (also did not need to take a blood test but used a special light to check).
    So a warning to all mums- go to a paeditrican who knows their stuff and isn't too interested in the fact that your insurance pays for everything. Most impt is to get a second opinion.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jaetee View Post
    I delivered at Adventist and my baby got the vaccine in the arm as well. :(
    Our baby was born at the Matilda and the vaccine was given in the arm as well. So I guess that's where it usually goes, unless you ask for it differently?

At what age can you reasonably expect the raised bump to disappear?

blumenelf is offline Registered User
    Can anybody please recommend where we could a TB skin test for my 4 yr old before I give her the BCG shot. Thanks!

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I delivered at Matilda, too, but for both my children the BCG was given in the hip. It must depend on which paediatrician you have.

(And the bump has now burst, and looks quite a bit better now I've cleared all the goo away. I rang the paediatrician and he said just to use water to clean it)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast