Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

BCG reaction - OMG!!

tstmum is offline Registered User

BCG reaction - OMG!!

My baby's a few months old and her BCG reaction is looking rather ugly. Initially a bump, then looked like a dark bruise, now is even more raised and kind of dark purple. It doesn't seem to bother her if I touch it (gently, of course!!) I had it checked by a midwife last week who said it was fine, but it looks worse now. All I've read says not to touch it, and not to cover it even if it bursts. Any advice?

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Sounds perfectly normal. The bump eventually bursts and flattens out and then can begin to heal. There will be a scar, but at least it's on the buttock and not on the arm like for most of us adults.

Don't worry!

geomum is offline Registered User
    The QM docs gave my daughter the BCG shot in her arm, guess they didn't bother it would scar her permanently . She is close to 4 months now and the bump is still red, puffed and keeps peeling off every week. The Paed says not to worry it will heal on its own.

carang is offline Registered User
    the public hospitals ALWAYS give on the arm. you have the option to take her privately and have it on the thigh/bottom instead, but it is much more expensive.

it does take a long time to heal properly but it sounds normal.

Neha is offline Banned
    we got ours on the bottom but thankfully no scarring

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    What age do they give that injection? I'll have to remember to ask them NOT to give it!! That's the scar that practically ALL the Chinese people I know have. I don't know if we got that in Australia, but I don't have that scar and none of my friends do either!!

Smiles is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't worry about scarring. I had mine as a baby on the arm and have no scar at all...I know most of my friends had it as a teenager hence more of a scar when you are an adult.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My hubby has a huge scar on his arm - so do ALL his friends from over here... I'll have to ask him when he got it... Not that he'll remember, but anyways... Maybe I'm vain, but I don't want my baby to have to have that scar!! hehe

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast