Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Keeping fit, keeping sane and being mom.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

Keeping fit, keeping sane and being mom.

Just hit the clubhouse gym with my 4.5 month old and was told by the management that I am not allowed to bring babies into the gym, even though he was asleep in the stroller, away from the machines and there was a total of 3 persons (including us) in the gym.

How do mothers around the world, with no helpers keep fit? I miss runs and doing alittle weights. It's not just about keeping fit, it feels great after a workout and makes me feel more sane and more energetic. Sigh. Any mothers have the same problem or solutions?

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    I am not surprised at all, can't imagine HK gyms liking that! Maybe they think if they let one Mum in with a stroller, then the place will suddenly be full of strollers and it will be a hazard. They do like to control everything don't they.

I don't have a helper, and yes it's hard. I try to get to the gym first thing in the morning so my husband looks after our child, or else after dinner, when he likewise can look after him. Though I much prefer a morning workout since I think it's better for your system.

Another option is to share babysitting with a friend or relative, but that's not necessarily easy when you live away from home like this, can't drop baby off at your Mum's place or whatever!

It will probably get easier as your child gets older. Of course, you can go for a walk with the pram too but I don't like walking outside in this weather and also part of the benefit of going to the gym is a bit of alone time where you can relax.

jjmum is offline Registered User
    hkaussie's idea is great to get a group of neighbors sharing the babysitting hours, so at least one of us can get out and have some free time. I managed to do this with my elder son when we lived in bigger neighborhood before, but difficult to do so with my younger one now after we've moved to a quieter area. If you live in big estate, you can always meet other mommies at the playground or clubhouse, that's a good place to start off with your own little circle of shared babysitting!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    thanks mommies! i guess gymming in the evenings will be it when hubby comes back. hope i dun crash straight to bed before that! heh