Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anyone got this condition called Uterus didelphys? (two uterus)

glammi is offline Registered User

Smile Anyone got this condition called Uterus didelphys? (two uterus)

Hi,

I'm around 11 wks pregnant now and had a scan at 10 wks. I went for a scan in a government hospital and the doctor saw that I've got 2 uteruses! It was a bit of a surprise to me. I know I have 2 cervixes from smear test a few years ago but didn't know about the uterus! My fetus is growing in one of them now.

I was wondering if anyone else have this condition which I presume is called - Uterus Didelphys??

It would be great to know someone else who have experienced this or going through this. Look forward to hearing from you if so :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I was reading a story the other day about a woman in the UK with that condition and she had triplets - two in one womb and one in the other! Those situations are really rare - and actually the twins could even be born weeks apart because they're in separate wombs! But usually, they're delivered together...

I thought it was fascinating!! But I don't have that condition ;)

Dear nicolejoy,

Thanks for your reply :)

Yes I read about that news too and it was pretty amazing! I'm glad in a way that I'm not giving birth to 3 - don't think I can manage!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Hi, congrats on your pregnancy!

I have a bicornuate septated uterus (A heart shaped uterus that is divided into 2 by a muscle, i only have 1 cervix.) and have had 2 sons by c-section (neither had enough room to turn), both premature. one at 33 weeks and most recently, at 30 weeks. Both boys came early due to growth restriction. I found this site helpful for more info about variations of this condition and some pregnancy stories. Good luck!

Hi MilkMonster,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I don't know at the moment what the complete situation about my uterus ie. exactly which kind it is. I'm hoping to know more in my next check up. Btw, thanks for the link :)

So were you carrying two babies at once or separately? Sorry I wasn't sure.

Did you give birth in HK? I'm just at the moment researching how best to get proper care I need in HK for my condition so any help would be great. When your babies were born prematurely, how long did they have to stay in the hospital for?

I had both babies separately, One last year and I just had my second.

Since both were born prior to 34 weeks, both were born at Queen Mary Hospital. (The private hospital won't take you if you are under 34 weeks and in labour. They don't have the neonatal facilities for babies that young. In most cases, if the baby requires medical attention, they will transfer the baby to a public hospital anyway. When we were there, a lot of the babies were private hospital transfers.)

My older son was born at 33 weeks and stayed for 12 days. My younger son was born at 30 weeks and stayed for 50 days. They say each day inside the womb is equivalent to 1 week outside the womb. Those 3 weeks my elder son had were huge in terms of lung development. But both are healthy and happy (most of the time) boys now :)