Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6 months feeding routine + solid

adahc is offline Registered User

6 months feeding routine + solid

So many problems at the moment. Firstly he (exclusive bf)suddenly rejects to feed from bottle. He used to be bottle feed once a day (Breast milk )at 5-6OZ on his last meal (6.30pm) then sleep through to 2am, then feed then up at 7am.
    Now he rejects bottle so I have to bf him for all meals. His scedule at the moment is
    5-6am up and feed
    9am solid (around 2 tablespoons) + bf (around 5 mins) then sleep for 2 -3hours
    12am feed (bf)
    2pm feed (bf) + (around 2 tablespoons) of solid and sleep for 2 -3 hours
    5.30 pm feed (bf)
    8.00pm feed (bf)
    10pm up and feed to sleep (not sure if he wants it but I feed him anyway, normally around 5 -8 mins before he falls back to sleep)
    12am up and feed to sleep (same,not sure if he wants it)
    3am up and feed to sleep ( same-not sure)
    sometime he is up at 4.30am to feed then sleep till 6.30!

Babies should be able to sleep a bit longer at this age at night I would have thought.

He enjoys the solid and can carry on eating for up to about an ounce or 1.5OZ if I let him. Is that too much?

Some suggested that I gave him too little milk but he only takes 15 mins maximum (usually more like 10 mins). that'swhy I give him solid which I think he is more interested in. Am I doing the wrong thing? I just started this routine today and don't know what else to do!!!1

JandIinHK is offline Registered User
    My little girl sounds exactly the same, except i think in the past week we have turned a corner. this is our routine.
    7.30 breakfast first then milk, so she fills up on solids
    10.30 - breast
    12 - lunch & water
    3 - breast
    5.30 - dinner & water
    7 - breast

because waking in the night by this stage has become a habit rather than needig food you need some tough love and leave her to cry. the first night it was 3 hours, with lots of cuddles and checking not teething. the next night was 90mins, except we didn't pick her up and checked on her every 20-30mins. the next night she slept through, the next night 45 mins crying with 2 checks, the past few nights she's cried for 5-10mins with no checks she's ok.

she's eating more for breakfast.

she's never been a big solids fan, so i think i'm gradually going to have to cut down the 10.30am feed so she eats more at lunch time.

hope this helps/let me know if any questions.

Lucylou is offline Registered User
    I agree with the above and i did say it in a previous thread that you had created. Leave him to cry at night rather than going to get him and feeding him. You have said yourself that you are feeding him at night but you are not sure if he really wants it. It will start to become a habit and a comfort thing for your baby and ghe will start to realise that if he wakes in the night, Mummy will come and get me and I get a drink out of it too! Try leaving him to cry himself back to sleep. As JandIinHK says, it is hard and as much as you desperately want to go and pick them up, you must try and leave him. Persevere :o)

weishy is offline Banned
    Hi m girl is 7 months old and she;s on formula....weanng off ur breast is pretty difficult for them....comfort and so on.

Maybe can try to keep ur bb more awake....cos my girl naps for less than 4 hours per day.hope this will help u :)

JandIinHK is offline Registered User
    i wish it was down to amount of daytime sleeping. my little girl has never slept more than 2 1/2 hours a day. about an hour at 9.30, and about 90 mins at 12.45.
    my friends with formula fed babies did get their babies to sleep the whole night through a lot younger. unfortunately my baby won't take a bottle, so formula isn't an option. though i am going to give it another bash in a week or so once the sleeping though the night is established.

adahc is offline Registered User
    JandlinHK, how long do you bf her after solid and when you are solely breastfeed at10.30, 3 and 7pm?
    I noticelast night that was a habit for him to be up during the night. However, I dread to leave him to cry for 3 hours like that. Surely there must be a gentle way to do this???? But thank you fo your advise. I'll try and see how long I can tolerate it tonight.

carang is offline Registered User
    many, many, many babies wake in the night once they hit 6 months. both of mine did as did everyone of my friends' babies.

as they start to roll over etc while sleeping, it wakes them up as this is a new sensation for them. it can be difficult for them to fall back to sleep. some babies even sit up in the middle of the night not sure how to get back into a comfortable sleeping position.

all i can say is that in time it will pass.

personally, i could never leave either of my kids to cry it out. i find it too gut wrenching for me. i also figure they are only this young once and so if i have a few sleepless nights, so be it. i do have a very helpful hubby who jumps up as fast as i do when they start to cry. i can only leave my older one to cry (he's 3.5) now that i can talk to him and reason with him. there's no reasoning with a 6 month old and they don't understand that " you're doing it for their own good". eventually they will sleep through the night and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

my older one used to wake up and did so until he was almost 2. after a couple of nights of us reassuring him that we were still around and that yes, we did love him was he ok. he still goes through bouts of "night terrrors". the last few weeks with heavy rain and lightning storms haven't helped much as he's now afraid of the dark. but we are slowly working on that. (it's amazing what a promise to go to the cinema can do for sleeping through the night!)

for those of you who can leave your little ones to cry it out, all the power to you. but we are not all made the same and some of us cannot "tough it out" and we still end up with well behaved, thoughtful, well rested children.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Is there any reason why your baby does not want the bottle anymore ? mine started to refuse when it was time to change the flow. Since it's back to normal, and I also took this opportunity to give him some drink with a c-cup. He loves it !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast