Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

damp and mould

mjw
    mjw is offline Registered User

Question damp and mould

Hello!

We are about to pack up our container and i have realised that it contains a few things that I am not sure how wise it is to bring over to Hong Kong.

For example, winter coats and winter duvets. As we won't be wearing them or using them very much, will they just get damp and mouldy? I know we will need dehumidifiers, but it will be a while before we can buy and install them as our belongings will get to Hong Kong before we do. I am sure you can wash or dryclean mould away, but will I have to do this frequently? I am a little low on patience and domestic goddessness.

And what about clothes to be stored (ie baby clothes that will hopefully be used for the next one, as yet unbaked, as well). Will they just get gunky?

Hmmmmmmmm

mommyof3 is offline Registered User
    We haven't been here all that long, but one thing I can tell you is we packed baby clothes and things like this that were to be stored in the large vacuum-sealed bags. Not only did it save us lots of space, but there's no risk of mold/dampness when it's all tight and sealed inside. (We also shipped our towels, linens, ect this way just in case and it worked out great!) Good luck with the move :)

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Hello, personally I would only ship out things that you will need. Space can be limited here, plus if the clothes do suffer from mould then in my experience it is pretty impossible to get the marks out. The vacuum bags are good though and are the best idea for baby clothes. I have mostly suffered from mould on my strollers! When it gets very damp and humid then this has been appearing witin 2/3days.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Don't be under false impressions - Hong Kong gets very cold in winter ! You will need a winter coat and duvet, just not in summer. You may actually find HK colder than your home country because houses and apartments are not made for the cold. Generally there is no insulation, lots of windows and no heating. Brrr chilly !

snagito is offline Registered User
    Where do you get the best vacuum bags in Hong Kong? Please Please can you give some recommendations? I had some last year but they were not really effective.

To the original poster I would say try to cut down on what you don't really need in any case as storage is at a premium here and mold certainly is everywhere.

Thank you!

NAC
    NAC is offline Registered User
    I suggest you bring only things you really need. We are here for 2 years now and we didn't use a wintercoat or winterduvet in winter. For us (western people) it is really not cold in winter. We are used to have minus 8 and this winter coldest was 12 degrees. You maybe want a small heater when you are watching tv you can also dress a bit warmer. I regret I brought so much stuff. My winterduvet is full of mould and cann't get the stains out. Besides that, the appartments are very small.

carang is offline Registered User
    but a winter coat made for, say, canada woudl be WAY too big and heavy for the 1 cold month of the year.

keep in mind this past winter was the longest cold spell for the past 40 years, so it's not a good yardstick to measure by.

i'm canadian and i've been here for over 13 years. it does get cold here in the winter but you cannot compare to what it is like at "home". minus 40 is not unheard of for weeks on end! the biggest difference here is that as someone mentioned above, nothing is equipped for the "cold" weather. a little insulation would go a long way here, keeping the house cool in summer and warm in winter, but it is unheard of.

a little space heater is usually all you need, you can move it from room to room as needed.

a couple of jumpers/sweaters and maybe a jacket would probable be ok for 90% of the winter.

Whale is offline Registered User
    Space bags are available from supermarkets (Citysuper has a good range).

Mold and mildew can only be killed by Oil of Clove. I have used it on clothes, walls, shoes and anything that stands still for too long. But prevention is the best cure, so use dehumidifiers, airconditioner or cupboard dehumidifier. I have also sent stuff back to my family after it became obvious we would not need them (heavy jumpers, winter weight blankets, electrical goods).

Scroll to top