Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feeding Schedule for 6mth old

fennho is offline Registered User

Feeding Schedule for 6mth old

hi mommies

My gal is turning 6mths next week and she's been fully BF so far. i'm finding it daunting to start solids for her. I have had mommies telling me that i shud feed solids first (to ensure she takes it) then BF. However, i have also been told that breast milk shud still be the main source of nutrition, hence i shud BF first, THEN feed her the solids. Erm...thus now, i am utterly confused.

1) Someone out there can give me how shud i start with the solids, as in the timing and such?
    2) How much shud i give her and when shud i increase it?

Thanks muchie.

carang is offline Registered User
    in all honesty, when you start solids, it's more for the new taste/texture. you don't start by introducing an entire meal. you start with a teaspoon or two. with that little, it is unlikely that your little one will be full from just the solids.

i always did solid first, then drink. still do with my kids (3.5 & 1.5).

it is only daunting if you make it. just take it easy and don't introduce too much at once.

try buying an annebel karmel book. they're fantastic and she gives good outlines of what/how/when to introduce food.

forgot to say, just introduce it once per day for the first few weeks, then gradually increase it.

my two were having 3 meals(each a couple of teaspoons or so) per day of solid by the time they were around 9 months or so.
    Last edited by carang; 06-29-2008 at 08:05 PM.

adahc is offline Registered User
    What I am doing is to feed my baby (same age as yours) one teasponn to start with to see iif he has any reaction. I choose to do it around lunch time so if there's any allegic reaction I can then take action plus avoid the night time fuss.
    The next day I increasee it to 2 -3 table spoon at the same time and the third day, same food same time and for the amount I let my son ell me as he seems to want more than 3 spoons.
    I'm not sure I m doing it correctly but just try it out as I just started a week ago......
    let's compare note.

you don't want to do too much too fast as it takes time for their digestive system to get used to the new stuff. by introducing too much at a time, you could cause constipation.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    The key as Carang says is to start small, we introduced a teaspoon of lunch first and once that was established a few weeks later, a little bit of tea. Last came breakfast a month or two down the line.

First up was baby rice with breastmilk and different steamed fruit purees, banana etc. Agree that Annabel Karmel's books are great.

It's actually quite fun to make the purees (steaming and freezing in ice cubes) then to create different combinations as your baby tolerates the new foods.

It really isn't for nutrion, just fun and texture at this age. Milk (formula or breast) is still the main source of food.

I'm sure any way is fine, but I put the milk first, solids a little after at typical 'meal times'. They then stayed consistent when my baby began to drop milk feeds. Totally depends on your baby's schedule though.

Down the line, I keep to the general guide of protein at lunch and carbs at dinner. The carbs are supposed to keep them fuller and sleepy at night time!

fennho is offline Registered User
    Hi all

thanks for all the advices and responses. Have started solids for my gal last Sat. Just a teaspoon of rice cereals mixed with my BM. Erm...can i ask when does the solids replace a nursing session or do i still i stick to 5-6 nursing sessions a day? I'm worried of overfeeding baby.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Breast milk continues to be the baby's main source of nutrition until the baby is about 12 months old. Usually we suggest feeding the baby at the breast first and then topping up with the solids. This way the baby gets the most breast milk (which is, of course, the better food) and finished off with the solids.

Usually the baby will continue having around the same number of breast feeds as before solids were introduced. All that happens is that some of the feeds include a bit of solid food as well as the liquid breast milk. Slowly as the baby takes more and more solids she will drink less and less milk - but the overall number of feeds through the day stays about the same.

Don't worry too much about over feeding her. This is unlikely to happen unless you force her to eat when she isn't interested.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast