Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

BF in Hong Kong

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by michtan View Post
    I tried nursing in a corner using a nursing shawl but it didn't work! People do look from time to time.
    Maya wrap has a pretty long tail. But, depending on the size of the baby, people are going to look. It might be that they just look anyway. Does it matter if they look? I thought the idea was to make sure they don't see.

Rodericlaw is offline Registered User

Hey try - Times square in Causeway Bay - 9th floor; Element in Kowloon MTRC station; also - Eugene Group stores in TST, MongKok ....

Hope this help.
    Cheers,
    Roderic

Jeanmom is offline Registered User

I posted an exact question several months ago while planning a trip to HK. At the end, it wasn't really that bad. It all depends on the mom's altitude. While in HK, I usually nursed in the nursing room if they were available. Otherwise, I just nursed in public with a nursing cover(Using a Be Be Au Lait, love it. Having spent some much in buying one (US$35), it motivates me to continue nursing. :P) Anyway, if a mom is more relaxed, usually everything will work out fine. If people do stare at you, shame on them!!! You are just feeding your little one and doing the best. I did nurse at Marks&Spence fitting room, Pacific coffee, Chinese restaurants, even on the bus once.

I don't know the age of your little one. My daughter was already 8 months old at that time, so she finished bfing rather quickly and got ready to play. So, it's really not a big deal. In fact, nursing had saved me LOTS of efforts in mixing and carrying the formula.

Good luck and welcome to Hong Kong!

Jeanmom is offline Registered User

BTW, one time I just began bfing in a nursing room for 5 minutes and some people started knocking on the door. Within the next 5 minutes, they knocked 5 times. They knew I was inside and I did felt a bit uncomfortable at the beginning. But when I thought how rude and disrespectful they were, I just ignored them and let my little girl finish her feeding and came out without any gulit.

They are parents too, will they ever interrupt their kids and take away their food when they are happily eating???

Be brave and you should be really proud of yourself.

fennho is offline Registered User

mich
    hello! i guess u have managed to buy the nursing cover now? We shud plan to go out one day and nurse our babies together! :)

michtan is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies for all the support, now i'm waiting for my loved baby nursing shawl. For the time being i'm using a normal shawl to nurse my baby in the public. Can't be borthered to find any nursing room since its not available everywhere.

Hey fenn, maybe we should teach the hongkong ppl manners!!! I was nursing baby downstairs at the park while my 2 gals were having fun at the playground. The hk residents stare as if i were an alien from outerspace!!!

wanfamily is offline Registered User

Yeah - glad to hear other mums are doing it!
    The first time I came to HK with a baby (2 years ago), my aunt - in -law whisked me off to the loo when she saw me attempt to feed my baby in a secluded corner of a restuarant. (With feeding top and shawl). I was soooo mad! This time (come here to live, with a new baby), I have had the attitude of ' there's no way I sitting on the loo to feed my baby'. I've brought a baby - la leche (best thing I ever bought) and have fed everywhere - including train station platforms and in shopping malls. If people stare, I find a quick stare back usually stops them. I think attitudes are changing - my in - laws haven't even raised an eye - brow when I have fed in the middle of busy family dim - sums and the doctors at the check up clinic have been very pro breast feeding. Good luck!

geiboyi is offline Registered User

I just fed both my children wherever and whenever. Sometimes if I was actually with people I knew who might not be so comfortable then I would go somewhere more private, but for strangers in a public place I don't see why it should be a problem.

The IFC loos opposite the cinema have a baby room but there's only room for one person, so it's not always useful. I have gone up to the podium gardens in IFC (P4, life outside CitySuper) and fed the baby there. Pacific Coffees/Starbucks both comfortable.

But you are right - Hkers as a rule (I realise I am generalising, but ask around and you will agree) can't really be bothered to breastfeed (they can get there maid/mother to do it for them and have more time for shopping/sleeping/watching tv) and there is still a widespread belief that formula is actually better, because only poor people (in China...) breastfeed, and formula makes your baby cleverer anyway (look at all the tins with pics of babies in academic gowns... ). I could count on the fingers of one hand the HK (local) mothers I know who have breastfed for longer than a couple of months, max.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast