Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper New Contract - Does she need to leave HK

blumenelf is offline Registered User

Helper New Contract - Does she need to leave HK

Any help is highly appreciated.

Our stay here in HK might come to an end, and I would like to find a new employer for my current Philippine helper.

If I can find a new employer for my helper can she sign a new contract with a new employer without leaving HK?

We are not sure yet if we actually will stay here of if we have to move, but I would like to know this just for the case we do have to move.

Thanks again!

salevizos is offline Registered User
    I just went through the process of hiring a helper who was already in HK; her employer was moving back to the US.

In any case, the short answer is no, she does not have to leave HK if the process is done correctly. What she would have to do with her new employer is as follows:

1. Submit paper work to HK immigration & get a time slot for an immigration interview. [In my experience, this was two weeks after we submitted the paper work.]
    2. Interview at HK immigration. [I went along for the interview, even though it is really for the helper. I submitted a letter requesting the process to be rushed, as Im due at the end of July. The officer agreed to have the visa ready by the following Friday - 5 business days.]
    3. Drop paper work off at the Philippine consulate; they take three working days to turn it around.
    4. Pick up paperwork at the Philippine consulate
    5. Bring the stamped paperwork to HK Immigration on the date the officer has promised the visa.

All in all, it was a frustrating process, because I didnt find this aspect outlined clearly in any of the pamphlets I had read through. However, once the interview was done, it seemed relatively straight forward.

Good luck,
    Sarah