Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breast Pump for working mother

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Tseung Kwan O

Breast Pump for working mother

I am planning on breast feeding and expecting to be back to work after 8 weeks maternity.

I will be able to express milk in empty meeting room probably during lunch. During the day 9am-7pm I will be away at work and I plan for baby to be drinking expressed milk exclusively.

Please advise what kind of pump will work? totally clueless...

Ideal features:
    Fast, easy to express ( 15mins)
    Able to pump enough to prevent engorgement/ maintain supply
    Ease of storage, eg with attached bottles, storage bag etc
    Lightweight to carry to work for use

Budget: HKD2K?
    Ideally I will hope to buy a new machine rather than rent,
    Any comments/reviews from experienced mommy please help!
    Thanks so much

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    I had the medela 'pump in style' (double pump, electric + battery pack all inside a handy backpack). I also got a hands free bra thing online which was good for multi tasking (can't remember the site, but google it). Think the PIS is more than 2k but as this sounds like a pretty serious pumping regime the extra money spent may be well worth it.

At 8 weeks I think I was pumping at least 4 x times between the hours of 9am and 7pm to keep up with the baby. Hopefully you will be a 'high volume producer' as they are called! One or two pumps in the day might then be enough. If you can squeeze more in though, the longer your supply will last. Some people find that they can go long term easily on only a few pumps per day if the baby is on the breast AM and PM, it's a very individual thing. One issue is tiredness though, if you are holding down a full time job you may be quite tired and that effects supply.

Good luck.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    The Medela PIS runs over 4k in HK.

The Lactaline Personal Dual Breastpump is the cheaper alternative to the PIS but it doesn't come with the totes etc. and is $1720. The only downside is the old bottles are PC plastic so you should not store milk in them.
    Hong Kong Island Showroom:
    Room 1306, 13/F, Capitol Centre, 5-19 Jardine's Bazaar, Causeway Bay
    Tel : (852) 2882-7922

Personally I bought a Medela Freestyle ( from a wonderful US website for around HK$2700 including shipping ( I love the Freestyle as it's handsfree, has rechargable batteries and is extremely compact and lightweight. It also features the 2-phase expression. I got mine in the mail after 3 days. Love it.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Tseung Kwan O
    Thanks, I have checked the websites and it seems the Freestyle is much better PIS and I wonder why the PIS cost so much more...?

Any idea where we can buy off Freestyle in retail shops in HK and will it be more expensive than HK2.7K?