Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When is a baby too big too deliver vaginally?

sfnative is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all your comments. We'll have to see how it goes on the big day and what my doctor suggests.

NAC
    NAC is offline Registered User
    Well.....my son was too big. They miscallculated his birthweight. He was stuck and no way I could deliver him without really hurting him. I was already too far in the delivery so c-section was no option. What they did to deliver him was breaking his bones and pull him out. Not even one minute on this planet and the poor boy ad already a broken bone and a concussion. A baby CAN be too big! It is al depending on the pelvic/hip size of the mother. He was too big for me.

carang is offline Registered User
    oh, my goodness, what an awful story! you and your poor baby!

i have a friend who was in labour for FOUR days trying to deliver vaginally, without luck. she just didn't dilate. she ended up having a c-section. her baby was just over 6 lbs, not a large baby by any stretch of the imagination.

Matty is offline Registered User
    I remember Dr Dawkins bragging a few months ago ( not that he did any of the work) that he had helped deliver a 5kg baby vaginally!

poor woman!

geomum is offline Registered User
    I am 5 feet and 5 inches (Medium built), my husband is close to 6 feet and my daughter was 3.5 kgs/ 20 inches at birth. Still she was too big for me to deliver. After 3 hours of intense pushing with no success, the doctor did an episiotomy (3rd degree) and used vaccum extractor. She was born blue due to the respiratory distress she suffered during long labour, had be resuscitated right after and put on oxygen for few days. I think with a big baby its always a good idea to do a C section rather than put the mother and baby at risk. A good doc should be able to figure out the baby's size and decide whats best.

Koan is offline Registered User
    My baby was too big for me. I'm 5'8, my husband is 5'7. Baby was 4.75kg and 23in. I pushed for hours and he didn't move. I had vacuum extraction and the dr was tugging like crazy trying to get him out. I couldn't sit down for weeks afterwards. Nobody had ANY idea the baby was that big. They told me later had they known, they would have done a c/s. By the way, I delivered at a public hospital.

holy cow! that's almost 10.5 lbs! you poor thing!
    hearing these stories, i'm so glad i didn't experience labour at all, for either pregnancy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast