Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reading List Suggestions

kmalia is offline Registered User
    Wan Chai

Reading List Suggestions

I am trying to put together a list of books to buy to prepare myself for the new addition- anyone have any additions/suggestions?

1. What to Expect the First Year, Arlene Eisenburg

2. The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby From Birth to Age Two, William Sears, M.D.

3. The New Contented Little Baby Book, Gina Ford

4. Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate With Your Baby, Tracy Hogg
    Last edited by rani; 07-05-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: links added

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i bought a bunch of books and have honestly only ever glanced at them

i liked the first one because it has the milestones...but no book is as good as your own instincts.

good luck with the new addition!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    1) Your Baby's First Year by The American Academy of Pediatrics
    This was recommended by the pediatrician who did the talk at our antenatal class at the Adventist and I've found this to be much better than What to Expect...

2) Baby Signs / Baby Minds / Baby Hearts
    All 3 books by Drs. Linda Acredolo and Susan Goodwyn. WONDERFUL, wonderful books!!!

BABY SIGNS talks about baby sign language and how you can communicate effectively with your baby even before your baby can talk.

BABY MINDS talks about cognitive development and gives you many ideas on brain-building games at different stages of the baby's development.

BABY HEARTS talks about socio-emotional development.

3) Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron (for when the baby starts solids up to toddlerhood)

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I would delete no. 3 from your reading list - complete waste of time ! I'm also not a fan of Dr Sears, but worth a read in case that way of parenting appeals.

shri is offline Administrator
    Hong Kong

Armin Brott's Expectant Father are a good read for the nervous dad. :)

Tracey Nicole is offline Banned
    Hong Kong
    I liked

The Contented Baby by Gina Ford

The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg.**

UP the Duff was also good for a down to earth pregnancy wkbywk

louisouis is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I also bought a bunch of books like the what to expect series, gina ford, books on breastfeeding and baby signs... Frankly speaking, looking back I wished I did not read so much as I was so filled with info that I became paranoid, every little thing requires a 'diagnosis' from one of these books...
    I was als fantasising about feeding my baby on a schedule (e.g. ford's technique) and being able to do all these 'clever' things with the baby,but when you are facing a real baby, he/she will be the boss and will do things according to their own agenda. Basically all the research and theory that I had read went right out the window!
    I will recommend 2 essential books 1) what to expect when you are expecting 2) what to expect in the first year, and invest the rest of the time on good quality sleep and quality time with the hubby as the little prince/ princess will be arriving soon and will expect lots of attention! Good luck and have fun preparing for your baby!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I also read Up the Duff by Kaz Cooke and after 16 weeks of a miserable first pregnancy thanks to severe morning sickness and fainting, it was the only book that made sense and made me laugh.

I'm going to get the next book in the series called Kid-Wrankling which is all about what to do when the baby arrives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast