Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

BF in Nursing Room - bad experience

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    Well that's a bit different then if there was a sign on the door, I would have been taken aback a little too.

However, I agree with Koan that once you just get over b/f in public, its no big deal. I don't think there is anywhere I haven't fed...I've fed walking around malls,in cabs, on trains...just about anywhere either of my girls got hungry...lol...i find those covers really annoying, they just get in the way I think.

carang is offline Registered User
    it is different if it is a BREASTFEEDING ROOM with a sign that says so.

cool-gaga is offline Registered User
    mumto2 and carang. It does say BREASTFEEDING ROOM on the door. Why would I otherwise expect the Dad to leave the room. I have tried breastfeeding in public but prefers to do it in a breastfeeding room when there is one available. I hope that's ok.
    AileenLi likes this.

you didn't say that the sign said "breastfeeding room"

of course it's ok, but bear in mind that they are trying to do the best by their children too and if the child was already in the middle of a bottle, what did you expect them to do? pull the bottle out of the mouth and pack up everything with a screaming, hungry child and then traipse around the shopping centre looking for a place to sit to feed their child? just as you don't expect your child to wait for food, neither should they.

come on guys, a little perspective here....

Hey Cara - this topic is about "BF in Nursing Room - bad experience" and I am just giving mine.

You obviously do not realise this but some of your comments are quite uncalled for:-
    1) Why are you embarrassed to bf in public? it's not like you're standing on the table at mcdonald's doing a striptease, for goodness sake!

I am not 'embarrased' to bf in public but I really prefer to do it in a nursing room when there is one available, striptease or not.

2) What did you expect them to do? pull the bottle out of the mouth and pack up everything with a screaming, hungry child and then traipse around the shopping centre looking for a place to sit to feed their child?

There are lots he could have done. Perhaps call the mum (yes she was outside shopping) so she can do the feeding and I can breastfeed in the same room? Or leave and bottlefeed in one of these big fat armchairs located just outside the nursing room? And I am quite sure his kid will not scream - she was barely eating otherwise they will be out in the room in no time.

I do appreciate that he is doing what he think is best for his child i.e. feeding her in a quiet room and that would all be okay if no one else is waiting to use the room for its intended purpose. You were not even there to understand the situation so what perspective are you talking about.

i am merely commenting on what you wrote.

you didn't say that the mother was there.
    you didn't say that it was a BREASTFEEDING ROOM (in your initial post... it says nursing room, to me that means feeding room ... sorry if i misunderstood)
    you also didn't say that there were any 'big fat armchairs' directly outside...

i stick by my post, but i'm sorry if you took offense. it wasn't meant to cause any.

i am not a BF "nazi" but i truly don't see the big deal. i, too, have used the nursing rooms on occasion, but more because it was a place to sit down without having to buy a $30 cup of coffee. i have also had my husband come in to give me a hand, when i had the two children with me.

i'm sorry, but i think that it's making a mountain out of a molehill.
    there are so many other things in this world to be upset about, a father helping his wife or feeding his child should be commended not denegrated.

if you have a problem with the nursing rooms, take it up with the management. (if it had a big sign that said NO MEN ALLOWED as peainpod said, yes, i too, might have said something, but otherwise, not)
    Last edited by carang; 07-08-2008 at 10:57 PM.

I am not denigrating a dad helping out his wife - you are totally off the point (or topic)..... arrrrgh.... whatever.
    Have a good evening.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    My personal view - no baby rooms should be just for b/f, there should be quiet areas for any form of feeding (those little ones get distracted very easily!). Also, ignoring what the sign said, I don't think you should have asked the fathers to leave. They are parents attending to their babies too !

I breastfed my children in Hong Kong for 11 and 8 months, so I do know what it is like being out and about. If you are really uncomfortable with a man being present, just use a light muslin wrap to protect your modesty. I don't think breastfeeding deserves absolute privacy or female only privileges.

What are you going to do when you have to feed without a baby room? Eg. on an aeroplane?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast