Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

BF in Nursing Room - bad experience

eflats is offline Registered User
    I bf in public and don't have a problem but I do feel bad about others being obviously uncomfortable. I know folks say they hate the nursing covers and I did too until I got this one: http://www.bebeaulait.com/ - it's fantastic as it has a bowed top so you can see down to your baby and it prevents them from getting so hot as air circulates through. and for the most part they can't pull it off b/c there is a loop that goes over your neck (when they are older - around 7-8 months they can pull it up but still they can't get it off). It's a tad pricey but I've used this all over the place and I love it so and think it's worth it so if you're looking for something give this a try. No idea if they have them here in HK as I got mine in the US but maybe an internet site will ship to you.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Hey those are really nice. I also saw some great nursing covers in a Japanese baby mag that a friend brought over from Tokyo but I've never seen any in Hong Kong. (The one I currently use is from B2B but it's just plain flannel and kinda floppy).

Bebe au lait site says that it does int'l shipping but there's an extra US$21 surcharge - which seems rather pricey for a $35 product.

eflats is offline Registered User
    yeah - that is ridiculous. I searched and apparently a store in macau careries them - maybe thy'll ship over to HK for much less. I really like mine and I've given many as presents and all the woman I give them to love them as well.

I've emailed the Macao store (Doubibou, right?) and am waiting for them to get back to me. If it's not too much, I may splurge and buy one! (I'm starting to use the nursing cover less now, so it'll be kind of an indulgent purchase - but what the heck, I deserve something nice for all those sleepless nights from breastfeeding!)

carang is offline Registered User
    i just suggested a curtained room to a friend of mine yesterday after discussing this thread. she is a bf new mum and has a hard time doing it in public too....

Yes, curtained rooms/private booths often work better than "communal bf rooms" b/c your husband can be in there with you (assuming there's enough space for both of you.) In an emergency, the fitting rooms of some of the bigger stores could also be an option. (Some are quite roomy - and even come equipped with small sofas!)

I guess we are all learning as we go along. After this thread, I'm going to stop using a nursing cover in public when I can do it discreetly.
    Last edited by peainpod; 07-11-2008 at 11:30 AM.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    I have to say that all this discussion about breastfeeding in public has inspired me. I have been pretty comfortable doing it in the easy places like coffee shops but not much beyond that and usually with the Bebeaulait cover. I am slowly realizing people really don't even notice if you do it casually - even without a cover. I am impressed with Mumto2 for having bf in taxis and on the MTR! I live on an outlying island so am getting good at nursing on the ferry, even without a cover but will have to try the MTR!

I am all for the idea of parenting rooms so a husband can be there and rooms with curtained areas for those uncomfortable in front of others. I get so annoyed with the nursing rooms that just feel like renamed bathrooms that I don't bother with them. (Although some of the hotels have great bathrooms for nursing! Like the Shangri La and the Mandarin)

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    What I like most about curtained rooms is if they have a BIG COMFY chair in there and I can relax because I've probably been shopping...lol...

Gosh I'm sorry you felt put out peainpod...that was not my intention AT ALL. I know that some women get a bit embarrassed etc about whipping it out in public but I certainly didn't mean to make those mums not feel validated...I just wanted to share my experiences that once you do, you will notice that not many people really pay any attention.

cyberfish, me feeding everywhere was more about the fact that "baby hungry, have boobs"...lol...it just didn't occur to me for more than just the briefest moment that this might be uncomfortable or embarrassing...have to feed child...was very primitive and cavewoman-like with first bubs...lol...

If people look at me questioningly or like I'm doing something wrong, I just tell them that we're too poor to afford formula...lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast