Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best music classes

yonge is offline Registered User
    At that age, both my sons loved Hi-5. We would let them watch the VCDs or just play them without turning on the TV and mime/sing/dance along. We also bought some simple children's musical instruments - you can get a kit at Tom Lee, which includes a tambourine, jingle bells, etc. - to play along. I find that the children are particularly interested in listening to other children sing or watching other children perform, so we just bought them on-line or borrowed them from the library. The Wee Sing series comes with a book of music as well as the lyrics along with the CDs. You can get them at Fleet Arcade on Fenwick Pier on the 2/F.

When my elder one was 2, he loved "The Book of the Orchestra" which comes with an accompanying CD and introduces them to all the instruments in the orchestra. We borrowed it so often from the library that we ended up ordering a copy ourselves! He also really like watching the Baby Proms, which has pre-school children in the audience interacting with an orchestra of young musicians. The copy I received is from the Western Australia Young Symphony, but lots of orchestras participate in them.

I only did Kindermusik very briefly with my first. He was interested in the music at the beginning, but after a pretty short while, he lost interest. I realized he was bored with the music and just needed more variety and you can't have that if you join a class.

For those of you who are Christian, there is also the children's program at Bible Study Fellowship - a 8-year, non-profit non-denominational bible study, which meets once a week. The music in that program is also really good and all the children receive a copy of the sheet music to use at home. You can also order the CD from the US which contains the songs both sung and instrumental-only. Starting next year, they'll be accepting children under 2 (over 6 months). Please note that this program is only for children of members attending the adult class at the same time - i.e., no drop-off for the children only.

Hope this helps!

MaiYe is offline Banned
    I really love the Early Childhood Education music program offered by Suzuki Music Centre (at Prince Edward). their owner is Jenny at 26990682.

premama is offline Registered User
    Yonge - how do you enroll for the Bible study fellowship?

yonge is offline Registered User
    BSF class lists are on-line. The pre-school program is during the women's day classes only. Children from P1 until age 18 can attend the school program which is during both the men and women's evening classes. Locate a Class Just click on the class administrator of the class that you're interested in attending and ask when their next open house is, which is typically once a month. Once you attend the open house, you and your child will be placed on their waiting list - hopefully, it won't be too long, but the children's program, especially on the HK side, is very popular. As there are no charges, the number of classes are constrained by how quickly they can recruit volunteers (known as children's leaders), so just sign up. Once you see how wonderful the children's program is, you'll want to volunteer, too. :) I was a children's leader for three years and only stopped when my first was born, because they didn't access under 2s at the time. I've now signed up to go with my second for next year, and unless I have a third, would love to go back to leading in the children's program!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12