Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tips on moving from breast to bottle

JandIinHK is offline Registered User

Tips on moving from breast to bottle

My 8 month old baby girl, rejected a bottle from about 8 weeks. i've tried a few times since then, but i didn't have the heart to persevere as she got so upset. However, my mum is coming out from scotland for 2 weeks and together we're going to get her onto the bottle, as i need to get back to work/me time.

Looking for tips from any of you who have actually gone through this (no theory please) and also answers to these points:

1 - do i use forumla in the bottle or expressed milk?
    2 - if she won't take the bottle, do i give in and give her breast or do i not feed her as she'll learn that if she cries enough she'll get the breast?
    3 - she gets milk at 10.30, 3 and 7pm, i was going to start with the 10.30am feed - is that the right one?

I'm going to try a fast flow teet and/or avent magic spout (with the anti spill removed) on avent bottles. I want to get her used to a bottle and not a cup as i can't imagine giving her bedtime feed from a cup. I've tried in the past NUK bottles, silicon and latex teets, but someone advised me to stick with one type and go for it, so i have avent with me.

Wish me luck!!!

JandIinHK is offline Registered User

Help!!!

Any advice out there?

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    1) ebm is always better for baby than formula
    2) depends on how much you want to wean her off your breast... to me it seems wrong to withhold breast milk from a baby if she wants/needs it.
    3) not sure i know what you mean by "the right time..."

i think the reason there aren't too many replies to your post is b/c there have been many posts already on this sort of topic (moving from breast to bottle)... try searching under "breast to bottle" and you'll get oodles of threads similar to yours, i think.

best of luck!